• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Sleeping all the time

Cocoapuff

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ghalya
Hi guys! So cocoa has been acting very weird today, he keeps sleeping. He is usually so energetic, i am hoping he is just tired and has not gotten any sleep last night. But he has not been eating his usual foods. i don’t know if he needs to see urgent care or not but regardless i am a worrier so i am really worrying. I cannot take him to a vet because its freezing out and they all close early. I am going away this weekend and my partners brother is going to watch over him. I dont know what to do as i feel horrible because i want to stay in and make sure he is okay but i don’t know what else to do. I have been spending a few hours with him outside the cage he is on my shoulder sleeping. I dont know whether his behaviour is really concerning or not but i thought he is not really sick as i started eating chocolate and he flew to me, and keeps trying to take a sip of my drink. So that makes me think he is not sick or ill.
Any suggestions on what to do please feel free to let me know. Thank you! :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Please find an avian vet and have your bird checked out asap.
Excessive sleeping and lack of appetite are often clear warning signs your bird is unwell. They are prey animals so they instinctively hide illness and pain often till they are so unwell that they can't manage to hide it any longer, you obviously seeing these changes in behaviour and appetite is of a concern as far as I am concerned.
You mention your bird flew to you because you had chocolate- I want you to be very aware that chocolate is toxic for birds, so are many other things we humans drink/eat frequently such as caffeine in Tea and Coffee, please make sure anything you allow your bird to access or nibble on is safe for it to consume.

Cocoapuff

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ghalya
Please find an avian vet and have your bird checked out asap.
Excessive sleeping and lack of appetite are often clear warning signs your bird is unwell. They are prey animals so they instinctively hide illness and pain often till they are so unwell that they can't manage to hide it any longer, you obviously seeing these changes in behaviour and appetite is of a concern as far as I am concerned.
You mention your bird flew to you because you had chocolate- I want you to be very aware that chocolate is toxic for birds, so are many other things we humans drink/eat frequently such as caffeine in Tea and Coffee, please make sure anything you allow your bird to access or nibble on is safe for it to consume.
Hi! He always flies to me when I have snacks or chocolates etc but I never give him any! And he does not drink my tea or coffee! I just give him seeds as a snack and not too much as they could be unhealthy for him! I have an appointment to the vet, he is seemingly a lot better, hopefully all goes well! Thank you for your reply :)