• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sleep? What's That? (sad update post #7)

QuakerCraz

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
This is a trying time for me. Having to be up every 3-4 hours to feed the tiniest naked chicken is making my internal clock have an aneurysm. But it's worth it because new little Peeper is thriving so far.

To clarify, I'm hand raising a hatchling Gouldian Finch. I had to. I wasn't going to risk it dying because the parents kicked it out off the nest or accidentally killed it. There was two but one sadly passed away. I knew it would due to the color of its skin, very pale and yellow looking. But the one that survived is strong and eating like a champ. Giving it formula every 3-4 hours and keeping it in my snake incubator at about 90 degrees with at least 40-50% humidity. Every time it's feeding time he's up and begging like he should be. I'm laughing at how I'm even able to see him he's so damn small. There is just one problem.

Im going to have to take him with me when I go visit family for Thanksgiving.

I devised a small little travel nest and I have heat pads and a heat lamp to use to keep him warm. But I have to take him with me. I have no choice. There's no one I can leave him with to feed him. I know its' not ideal to do but I don't have a choice. I'll be gone all day and he'll still need food every 3-4 hours. This is out of my control.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
sounds like you have a plan and know what you are doing
good luck to you and the teeny-tiniest turkey!

QuakerCraz

Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
I handfed my Quaker JoJo so handfeeding isn't new to me. It's just so different dealing with something so miniscule. But he made it through the first night and thanks to a dream I had of having a handtame finch named Peeper flying round, Peeper became his name. I'm glad I saved him when I did because he was quite cold when I found him. Thankfully, the incubator was still on because I have a survivor baby snake in it still so I stuck him it and he livened right up asking for food. First feeding was just a tiny drop but every feeding after he ate more to what he should.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
**** For a hatchling Gouldian, you should do every 2 hours. 4 isn’t enough. Sometimes it’s even every 30 minutes. :laugh:

QuakerCraz

Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
I do 3 hours between feedings and by the time it eats again, there's very little to no food left in the crop by that point so little Peeper is doing fine on 3 hours. I've done a lot of research and everything says 3-4 hours between feedings and to make sure the crop empties at least once a day and to not over or under feed during each feeding or to let the bird tell me its full. Hes grown already according to my mom and hes thriving. We're on day 4 I believe and going strong.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You’re welcome.

QuakerCraz

Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
Sadly, peeper didnt make it. I was very much aware of this risk and how high it was due to his size but he aspirated on his food. I think I know how he did it though. He was very spazy during feeing time, after getting a drop of food in his beak he would move around a lot. I think he aspirated during one of these over excited fits which in turn demonitized him. But I know now I can do it as little peeper grew at least 3 times the size since hatching.

I'm aware of risks like this. Casualties happen when working with any animal. I can't have my hopes too high. Just a couple months ago, I lost two hatchling snakes to an unknown issue during development. I can but try. Peeper was warm, well fed and growing. It was nothing I did.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am sorry for your loss :(

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I’m so sorry for your loss :sadhug2:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:sorrow:

Blueszz

Meeting neighbors
Sadly, peeper didnt make it. I was very much aware of this risk and how high it was due to his size but he aspirated on his food. I think I know how he did it though. He was very spazy during feeing time, after getting a drop of food in his beak he would move around a lot. I think he aspirated during one of these over excited fits which in turn demonitized him. But I know now I can do it as little peeper grew at least 3 times the size since hatching.

I'm aware of risks like this. Casualties happen when working with any animal. I can't have my hopes too high. Just a couple months ago, I lost two hatchling snakes to an unknown issue during development. I can but try. Peeper was warm, well fed and growing. It was nothing I did.
Sorry for your loss. You did the best you could.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Sorry for your loss.