• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sleep versus Time Out of Cage

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is a bit long, but please bear with me! I need your experience and advice!!

Since the pandemic began, I’ve been able to work from home. Two weeks ago, our governor called us back to work in the offices, but we could work half days in and half at home. Starting next Monday, we will have to work full-time in the office. This means I will be out of my house 8.5 hours a day.

Here is my dilemma. I’ve been providing 13 to 14 hours of dark time each night for all the birds because Opie is so hormonal at the moment. Plus they share a sleep room. The 8.5 hours working plus 14 hours dark each night totals 22.5 hours out of a 24 hour day. That means I have only 1.5 hours to spend time with my flock. If I keep them at 13 hours each night, that’s 2.5 hours for them. Plus, I have to split this time for them to have time out of their cages because the budgies and Opie can’t all be out at the same time.

So, in your opinion and experience, which should take precedent—sleep for hormones or out of cage for enrichment and mental stimulation? In other words, I could reduce their sleep time to 11 hours, but that might cause a real problem for Opie.

Help?!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How much out of the cage time are they used to getting? If it's going to be a drastic difference I might lean towards letting them out more over sleep/darkness. But I also have birds that really, really need that out of cage time- Elvis- to burn off energy. How long has Opie been on the extended sleep time?

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
After the first two weeks of having him home, I realized that he was entering his breeding season, so for about 6 weeks. He gets about 3 to 4 hours out while I’m at home.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
After the first two weeks of having him home, I realized that he was entering his breeding season, so for about 6 weeks. He gets about 3 to 4 hours out while I’m at home.
I think for cockatiels they say 2-3 weeks of darkness. So, if he's had 6, I would think it would be okay to start decreasing. If it hasn't made a difference yet, I don't know if it will. .... I think as long as he's getting at least 12 hours of sleep/darkness he should be okay? I guess you can see how it goes and it starts affecting him increase the hours again?

@Mizzely ? @macawpower58 ?