• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sleep in parrots

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Does it matters when it comes to hormones? I was told recently that the amount of time covered doesn’t matter? I thought it did? Any articles about it?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's less about the sleep and more about the length of day. Many species of birds are very light sensitive and the amount of light they receive in a day triggers different responses in the body.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
12 hours is usually fine for birds that live near the equator. Some that need more persuading do better with 10 hours of daylight and 14 of night. It all depends on the bird :)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
@Mizzely raises a great point. One I've wanted to raise a few times before but never got to.
With equatorial birds the season is triggered by the availability of rich foods likes like fruit and nuts. So by reducing these foods we can hold off the 'urge'.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Mizzely raises a great point. One I've wanted to raise a few times before but never got to.
With equatorial birds the season is triggered by the availability of rich foods likes like fruit and nuts. So by reducing these foods we can hold off the 'urge'.
True. In Gouldians many people even practice an austerity program, mimicking the lack of availability of rich foods during dry weather. Their bodies respond accordingly, it helps them prepare for the next breeding season.