• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sleep Cage Size

starfruit

Moving in
Real Name
Madison
Hello everyone!

I just recently brought home my parrotlet baby, Sprout. He's so wonderful!

I am considering getting him a sleep cage when he becomes more comfortable with me and being handled- we are working on it! What size sleep cage would be sufficient enough? I can't imagine he's going to need a ton of space if he's just sleeping in there. He has a large flight cage at the moment that will transition to just his play cage.

Thanks for the help!:)

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Was there a reason you wanted a cage separate from his flight cage for sleep?

starfruit

Moving in
Real Name
Madison
Was there a reason you wanted a cage separate from his flight cage for sleep?
I’m currently rolling his current cage from one room to another. It would be nice to somewhat reduce the need to do that!

The breeder also said a sleep cage may help with cage aggression- which I know can be a problem with parrotlets.

Let me know if you don’t agree! I’m still new to all this and would love to hear from well-versed bird owners!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I will say I had a sleep cage for my Quaker and that did not reduce his cage aggression. He just became protective of two cages :lol:

Pickles&Co

Strolling the yard
I use a sleep cage! Personally I use one because tiels are prone to night frights and because my main cage is in the living room where there are more potential alarming things Popcorn sleeps in a different room. My sleep cage is quite a bit smaller than my main cage because he only goes in there at bedtime and comes back out first thing in the morning.

I also personally keep my sleep cage far more "empty" than my main cage because if he would have a night fright there are less things he can potentially injure himself on.

starfruit

Moving in
Real Name
Madison
I use a sleep cage! Personally I use one because tiels are prone to night frights and because my main cage is in the living room where there are more potential alarming things Popcorn sleeps in a different room. My sleep cage is quite a bit smaller than my main cage because he only goes in there at bedtime and comes back out first thing in the morning.

I also personally keep my sleep cage far more "empty" than my main cage because if he would have a night fright there are less things he can potentially injure himself on.
Yes, I’ve heard that about cockatiels! Thank you so much for your help:)

Parrotl3t

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ellen
I have a very small sleep cage. I feel my p’let is more comfortable in a small cage that I cover to prevent any drafts due to hubby turning the a/c down at night.

He has a pretty big flight cage during the day.

Attachments

starfruit

Moving in
Real Name
Madison
I have a very small sleep cage. I feel my p’let is more comfortable in a small cage that I cover to prevent any drafts due to hubby turning the a/c down at night.

He has a pretty big flight cage during the day.
We have the same flight cage it looks like! After having him for 3 weeks, I do think he’s pretty comfortable in his flight cage at night. He loves it in there. For now, I think I’ll hold off on a sleep cage as this seems to be working for us! Thank you for your help!