• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sleep cage or cover cage?

Srohe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suzanna
Just curious who covers their bird cages at night compared to who moves them to a sleeping cage? The vet recommends 12-14 hours of quality sleep and darkness for our G2 to help her barbering she’s been doing. Her cage is huge so I use two king size sheets (which don’t cover the entire cage) and her cage is in a active part of our home so we may have the tv on for a bit, or get stuff out of the kitchen etc. if she wasn’t so timid of new things I’d think about a sleeping cage.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My birds all have their own small sleep cage in a very dark closet in a bedroom. They love it and I like giving them somewhere more quiet to sleep.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I cover about a quarter of the budgie cage but not the whole thing. They would never settle with the whole cage covered so I tried just part of it which they took to.
Burt does not like being covered so I don’t cover his cage.... probably a blessing for me given that it’s much easier to cover a budgie cage than a macaw cage! The few times I have had to cover Burt regardless of it being half or all his cage he grumped and carried on for hours longer than he would have done with the lights left on in his area all night..... he grumped and carried on basically until he had got most of the cover off then he settled.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't do either :lol:

It really just depends. My quakers I used to cover as they would scream all night otherwise, but my other birds haven't needed it. I did have sleep cages for a brief time and I didn't hate that, but it just doesn't fit into my life anymore

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
I dont do either also I used to cover my bird every night a few months ago until I realised he trys chewing the blanket so I haven't been covering him for the last 5 months and hes fine with it. He was also very scared of the blanket but after a while he got used to it. As long as they have somewhere dark and quiet the birds should be fine. I own an Indian ringneck if it's a bird that can get night fights like a cockatiel than its recommended that you cover the birds. A sleeping cage would be good if it can be placed someone dark and quiet to help your bird.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My tiel Scooter has a sleep cage. Supposedly, it was the cage he lived in for many years, but it's way too small for a full time cage. So I moved him into a bigger cage but he seems to like the comfort of going back into his smaller cage for bed. He and Rosie, my other tiel, also go to bed in a separate room upstairs. Elvis the goffin gets completely covered- he won't sleep otherwise. But he stays downstairs. I move his cage into the dining room and shut the pocket door between the dining room and the living room. Eventually, I'd like him to move upstairs to sleep but I'm worried a little that he'll scream and frighten the tiels

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Rhubarb had a lot fewer behavioral issues when we started moving her to a sleep cage in a bedroom. She is covered in there and gets 12 hours a night of dark time. She even knows what "Go night, night?!!" means and will fly herself to her sleep cage to be tucked in for sleepy time!

paul65k

Checking out the neighborhood
Our Umbrella Cockatoo "Yogi" has his own room that we are able to get dark at bedtime and he typically sleeps for about 12-14 hours a night, based on the time of year.

He's been doing this for over 30 years so he's got us pretty well trained:cool: