• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sky's Eye Pinning and Little Dance!

Elmafudd2

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Andy
Hi All,

As you might know we have a beautiful rescue IRN called Sky (female) who has been with us for over a year now.
She has been such a work in progress - she has gone from terrified when we approach her cage to now taking sunflower seeds from my hand and landing on my head when she wants to sample my food!
The question I have is that quite often when Sky sees me, she will do a little dance slightly opening her wings a little, moves from side to side on the spot and at each sway she eye pins and sounds a little 'meow' sound!
It is massively cute, I was just wondering if any one also experiences this and what the possible reason could be?!

Cheers
Andy

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
The meow sounds paired with the dance and pinning you are describing sounds like a courtship display.

Are you explaining this behaviour (below) ?

I will link some additional videos here that I think explain bird body language well. However I wish she touched her IRN less.

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
The meow sounds paired with the dance and pinning you are describing sounds like a courtship display.

Are you explaining this behaviour (below) ?

I will link some additional videos here that I think explain bird body language well. However I wish she touched her IRN less.
K but the swaying mating dance just looks like the bird's soulfully singing opera music without making a sound. :rofl: Someone should animate that. There's my helpful contribution to the thread. :roflmao:

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
Kyra constantly does heart wings and sways for me...she's really affectionate right now too...hmm...Spring time anyone? lol Also, if I'm not quick enough to let her out, she'll rub her beak on the bars like a prisoner does with a bowl to get attention :facepalm::rofl:

It sounds like Sky is getting excited when she sees you now!

Elmafudd2

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Andy
Thanks for the great replies!
Well Sky continues to go from strength to strength. She's such a cheeky madam! Being an Aussie bird she likes to swoop! She swoops when she wants a few more sunflower seeds on her tree perch!
She also doesn't like it when you lie down on the couch and will swoop very close to you!
She still likes to land on my head which is funny.
She attempted to land on my plate the other night which is great. She used to only eat sweetcorn with some peas and that was it, but since Yoda has been and gone, she now eats everything we give her. She likes her vegetables and fruit which is so nice to see.
When we started with her she would not eat pellets at all and only seeds, but I make her seed balls using her pellets as the main part and have been reducing the seeds in the balls and I have seen her eat a few pellets from her pot, which is a massive e step forward.

She is such a funny little blue ball of feathers and incredibly cute!

Cheers

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Eclectus are not the same as IRN. IRN is short for Indian ringneck. Although these are more accurately called rose-ring parrots.

Elmafudd2

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Andy
Eclectus are not the same as IRN. IRN is short for Indian ringneck. Although these are more accurately called rose-ring parrots.
I'm confused by your reply. I know IRN are Indian Ring Necks! We have Sky our IRN and Yoda was the Eclectus we had.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I'm confused by your reply. I know IRN are Indian Ring Necks! We have Sky our IRN and Yoda was the Eclectus we had.
I suppose I am also confused by your messages.

Hi All,

As you might know we have a beautiful rescue IRN called Sky (female) who has been with us for over a year now.
She has been such a work in progress - she has gone from terrified when we approach her cage to now taking sunflower seeds from my hand and landing on my head when she wants to sample my food!
The question I have is that quite often when Sky sees me, she will do a little dance slightly opening her wings a little, moves from side to side on the spot and at each sway she eye pins and sounds a little 'meow' sound!
It is massively cute, I was just wondering if any one also experiences this and what the possible reason could be?!

Cheers
Andy
Thanks for the great replies!
Well Sky continues to go from strength to strength. She's such a cheeky madam! Being an Aussie bird she likes to swoop! She swoops when she wants a few more sunflower seeds on her tree perch!
She also doesn't like it when you lie down on the couch and will swoop very close to you!
She still likes to land on my head which is funny.
She attempted to land on my plate the other night which is great. She used to only eat sweetcorn with some peas and that was it, but since Yoda has been and gone, she now eats everything we give her. She likes her vegetables and fruit which is so nice to see.
When we started with her she would not eat pellets at all and only seeds, but I make her seed balls using her pellets as the main part and have been reducing the seeds in the balls and I have seen her eat a few pellets from her pot, which is a massive e step forward.

She is such a funny little blue ball of feathers and incredibly cute!

Cheers
I read the last message as "Sky, being an Aussie bird..."

I am a bit confused as you are. I thought you were referring to your IRN as the Australian bird. I honestly don't mean anything negative about this confusion. From the posts alone it is easy enough to make :)

Last edited:

Elmafudd2

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Andy
I suppose I am also confused by your messages.

I read the last message as "Sky, being an Aussie bird..."

I am a bit confused as you are. I thought you were referring to your IRN as the Australian bird. I honestly don't mean anything negative about this confusion. From the posts alone it is easy enough to make :)
Ahhhhh!

Lol, yeah Sky is an IRN but from Australia! In this country birds like to swoop!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Ahhhhh!

Lol, yeah Sky is an IRN but from Australia! In this country birds like to swoop!
I live in Queensland! I know :hehepink:

IRN shouldn't swoop though ;)