• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Skylars update ....PDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mommyofgus

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tina
Those of you who were on the P. know Skylar's story. I bought a Triton cockatoo that ended up having PDD within a week of purchasing her. She has been in the AV hospital for 3 weeks now, sitting in a incubator. Since I have two other GCC I was told that I shouldn't take her back. The store offered me a refund and agreed to pay all the vet bills. Since then I had my other two GCC tested and my YSGC Gus came back positive with the Bornovirus. Kendall tested negative. I was devastated beyond measure. I am amazed at how close a human relationship becomes with a bird and the thought of losing another one threw me for a loop.

For the update: My husband and I met with the petstore to give them the list of all the things I threw away that may have been contaminated. They had instructed me to throw all wood or porous toys and food away from all the birds and they would reimburse me. Anyway, at the meeting I found out that Skylar was not a female like I had thought. The dna test that I had done at the time of purchase came back a male. The really good news was that they told me the AV found a man who was willing to adopt Skylar. He has no other birds and is willing to do all the necessary care that Skylar will need. The petstore manager also told me that they would pay to have my GCC's retested in 60 days and again in 6 months.
Right now he is submitting a claim to reimburse me for the cockatoo, toy, food and even the cage that I had purchased from them. They are going to review my list and see about getting compensation on the food and toys on another claim.

I am so thrilled that Skylar won't be having to sit in an incubator 24 hours a day and that "he" will be able to live his life as normal as possible. We don't know whether that will be days or years at this point.

The Bornovirus and eventually PDD is a horrible disease. The petstore manager and Avian caretaker and I have shed many tears over these sick birds. They are having their birds tested and all the birds are a NO SALE and they will do whatever the AV recommends for the birds in their store.

They have been very nice to me. This is the first time that they have ever had the Bornovirus hit their store. The AV's don't know where or why it has hit and they are in search of the carrier.

Please pray that Gus and Kendall's immune system can heal their own body from the Bornovirus. I will post an update when we retest in 60 days. I just wish there was up to date information on the internet. All the information I have come across is years old. I have found nothing new for 2009. The AV did tell the manager that had it not been for this new blood test that they did on Skylar they would not have put him on Celebrex and that the bird would have most likely died weeks ago.

Take care and I will talk to you later.
Tina:hug8:

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh Tina, how absolutely devastating to get news like that :sad1: They really have come a long way from even a few years ago, hopefully they will continue to make progress with that horrible disease.

I have to say it is wonderful to hear that the pet shop is stepping up to the plate and doing the right thing. Im glad to hear that there is someone that can take care of Skylar too. Sending positive thoughts and prayers for Gus and Kendall :hug8:

Mommyofgus

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tina
Oh Tina, how absolutely devastating to get news like that :sad1: They really have come a long way from even a few years ago, hopefully they will continue to make progress with that horrible disease.

I have to say it is wonderful to hear that the pet shop is stepping up to the plate and doing the right thing. Im glad to hear that there is someone that can take care of Skylar too. Sending positive thoughts and prayers for Gus and Kendall :hug8:
Thank you Jill.

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
:hug8:
Sending love to Gus and Kendall...

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
I was following your story on the other board, and my heart has been breaking for you. :hug8:

Mommyofgus

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tina
I was following your story on the other board, and my heart has been breaking for you. :hug8:
Andrea and Nikki,

Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers. Everyone has been so supportive of us during this trying time. I appreciate it so much. I will keep everyone updated on Gus and Kendall's next recheck. If anyone finds any new information on bornovirus or PDD please send me a link. I am trying to find any current updated information. Blessings to everyone.:hug8:Tina

Kathy

My heart goes out to you.. I will pray as well.

carkam

Avenue Veteran
My thoughts and prayers are with you! You have been through alot!:hug8:

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
:hug8: Many hugs coming your way, how devastating.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
All the information I have come across is years old. I have found nothing new for 2009. The AV did tell the manager that had it not been for this new blood test that they did on Skylar they would not have put him on Celebrex and that the bird would have most likely died weeks ago.
These are some sites I have found that have 2009 updates:
The following is a "hard" read and is not for those who don't want to know about research or what vets go through but it talks about PDD
high five (again!) PDD

A Bird Tale — Division of Research and Graduate Studies

Branson Ritchie, DVM, PhD
Emerging Diseases Research Group
College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Georgia

Dr. Ritchie obtained his DVM from the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine in 1985 and his PhD in Medical Microbiology from the same institution in 1990. As a member of the multidiscipline Emerging Diseases Research Group at the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine, Dr. Ritchie has been involved in characterization of the PBFD virus, development of a DNA probe based assay for PBFD virus, development of the avian polyomavirus vaccine and development of DNA probe based assays to detect polyomavirus, adenovirus, and Pacheco’s disease virus. In conjunction with colleagues at LSU, the Emerging Diseases Research Group has developed and tested assays for detecting chlamydial nucleic acid in clinical samples and are involved with the LSU group in testing a vaccine to prevent chlamydiosis. Currently, the Research Group is working on characterization of the suspect PDD virus and testing subunit vaccines for PBFD virus and avian polyomavirus. The Group is also working in conjunction with colleagues at LSU and the University of Minnesota on an avian specific vaccine to prevent West Nile virus associated deaths. The Research Group has published more than 50 scientific publications on infectious diseases of companion birds and Dr. Ritchie has edited 2 textbooks; Avian Medicine: Principles and Application and Avian Viruses: Function and Control. In addition, Dr. Ritchie is a Diplomate of the American Board of Veterinary Practitioners and the European College of Avian Medicine and Surgery.
You might want to contact Dr. Ritchie also
Don't know when this was written:
Proventricular Dilatation Disease
Avian DNA Testing - Research Projects
I don't know if these will help you or not but at least you have names you can contact and ask "?" to and hopefully get some answers back...:hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
OMGoodness, this is so tragic. I am so sorry and keeping you and the fids in my prayers.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:eek: :eek: All my best!! :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.