• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Skin visible during a molt

Johnny99

Strolling the yard
I wanted to prevent my female canaries from laying eggs and a vet recommended me to shorten the daylight hours to 8-10 hours every day, but as soon as I did that my male canaries started shedding feathers very quickly. I've got three males, two look fine but one of them has sizeable spots on his chest where you can see his skin. Is this normal or something bad? I'm feeding them seeds, pellets and eggfood, although they don't really like the pellets.

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Do you have a picture of the bald spot? Sometimes one of my budgies gets one on the top of his head while molting.

Johnny99

Strolling the yard
Do you have a picture of the bald spot? Sometimes one of my budgies gets one on the top of his head while molting.
It looks like there are indeed new feathers starting to grow out of those spots (they look like needles and also the bald spots seem to be symmetrical) so I will keep an eye on it but I think it's a harder molt due to me adjusting daylight hours. I probably should have gone slower with it instead of straight away cutting 3 hours of daylight, dammit.