• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Skewer ideas, please

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
What do y'all put on your skewers? I'm looking for ideas. I use thirds of cardboard egg cartons when we get them & put treats and toys in the cups, but lately our egg cartons have been the foam kind. So I've been stuck with rings cut from cross sections of toilet paper & paper towel tubes with a toy part or two in the stack. Not very fun, but at least they have something to chew. :unsure:

I ordered more large, plain (easy to clean) skewers from Love My Zons last time so I try to make up all the skewers at once so I always have some ready for when I need to change them out. I've thought about veggies or fruit, but they're not usually in their cages when we're home & I hesitate to leave fresh food in their cages the whole day while we're at work.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What about magazines or phonebooks cut into 4?

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
What about magazines or phonebooks cut into 4?
We don't get phonebooks anymore & I thought glossy print was harmful? But we get plenty of grocery ads in the mail! I could roll those up & punch a hole through them! :dance5: Awesome!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Do you not get non glossy magazines or booklets? Sometimes the cover is glossy and you can take the cover off and only use the insides.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Do you not get non glossy magazines or booklets? Sometimes the cover is glossy and you can take the cover off and only use the insides.
I've not seen any, but I'll keep an eye out! :tup:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Rudy consumes this cholla after dinner for a couple of minutes. Also slid yucca pieces on a skewer. Just started spring cleaning today but I’ll make some skewers when I find my MPBT skewers — store alas now not In business.

41783361-16C7-4448-B5A0-4C3151CF3C52.jpeg 9DAD610C-1A21-46F3-B7BC-1316BE0F6264.jpeg

Last edited:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Such a neat idea! I would never have thought of cholla! I will have to get some cholla and yucca pieces for the goffins girls. :pinksmile:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I usually put a mix of things so there is shredding material and also stuff that will still be there at the end of the day. Any metal toys bits I have or washers, bits of coconut shell, beads, paper and cardboard, cupcake liners, wood chunks. Anything you can find on any other toy I will put on a skewer.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Got any cardboard boxes you can cut up? Make long strips, bend it, and poke holes along so you can thread it on to the skewer. In the end, it's shaped like this: ~

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I usually put a mix of things so there is shredding material and also stuff that will still be there at the end of the day. Any metal toys bits I have or washers, bits of coconut shell, beads, paper and cardboard, cupcake liners, wood chunks. Anything you can find on any other toy I will put on a skewer.
I never thought of washers as toy parts, just things that go on a perch! :facepalm: And I'm pretty sure I still have Buzz's coconut left over from his What the Shell. :) And I'll try to keep more paper and cardboard on hand instead of recycling it all!
Got any cardboard boxes you can cut up? Make long strips, bend it, and poke holes along so you can thread it on to the skewer. In the end, it's shaped like this: ~
That is such a simple yet wonderful idea. I used to cut squares out of cardboard to do essentially the same thing, but it's so hard to get scissors through cardboard that I'd end up with sore hands & sometimes cardboard cuts. :confused: Buzz loved it, but I stopped because it was too much work for not much to show for it. This would have the exact same result with less than half the work! :jawdrop1:
That looks great! What is it? Besides Rudy, I mean. He's great, too, of course. :xflove:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I never thought of washers as toy parts, just things that go on a perch! :facepalm: And I'm pretty sure I still have Buzz's coconut left over from his What the Shell. :) And I'll try to keep more paper and cardboard on hand instead of recycling it all!
That is such a simple yet wonderful idea. I used to cut squares out of cardboard to do essentially the same thing, but it's so hard to get scissors through cardboard that I'd end up with sore hands & sometimes cardboard cuts. :confused: Buzz loved it, but I stopped because it was too much work for not much to show for it. This would have the exact same result with less than half the work! :jawdrop1:
That looks great! What is it? Besides Rudy, I mean. He's great, too, of course. :xflove:
It’s a circular ss ring which has a quick link sort of opening. Got it years ago but don’t recall where.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I wouldn't use scissors. Get a box cutter and put your cardboard on a glass cutting board. Just be careful!

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I wouldn't use scissors. Get a box cutter and put your cardboard on a glass cutting board. Just be careful!
Yet two more ideas that have never occurred to me! Lol

If I order the box cutter and a glass cutting board from Amazon, they'll send me skewer filler for free. ;)

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Yet two more ideas that have never occurred to me! Lol

If I order the box cutter and a glass cutting board from Amazon, they'll send me skewer filler for free. ;)
You think like I do! Amazon provides me with "free" packing material for shipping. Waste not; want not!

Susan in So Cal

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
One veggie I love to put on a skewer is artichoke. It is a fun material to shred and dosn't spoil, it simply dries out.
View attachment 358476
You can stick beads or or treats or other things in it instead of fresh veggies.
Oh my gosh! I've never thought of artichoke!