• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sketchy Kiwi - semi urgent

KiwiConure

Strolling the yard
Hi everyone! Our house for listed for sale today, and we found out we have four viewings tomorrow. During these, no pets or people can be home, this includes Kiwi.

Since we'll be out all day at my sister's, I quickly went out and bought Kiwi a small temporary home (one of those cheap PH cages), and I need her in it for tomorrow. Such late notice means I don't have time to spend getting her acquainted with it, most I could manage is her sitting on it, not in.

I'm asking for advice in getting my flighty Kiwi in this cage tomorrow, since treats and trying to set her in have not worked.

Thank you

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
You can try treats for as long as you can, but if you can't by the time you have to leave, you might have to towel her. Just make sure not to press on her chest.

KiwiConure

Strolling the yard
Thank youuuu, I don't think treats will work. As soon as I'd lower a treat into it for her, she'd lose interest :meh: it might have to resort to toweling or gentle cupping around her, which I HATE doing.

This cage also doesn't have realistic doors, just a removable top and that's a problem in its own, cause she's slippery :lol:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Thank youuuu, I don't think treats will work. As soon as I'd lower a treat into it for her, she'd lose interest :meh: it might have to resort to toweling or gentle cupping around her, which I HATE doing.

This cage also doesn't have realistic doors, just a removable top and that's a problem in its own, cause she's slippery :lol:
I agree, towel her, and to buy a couple seconds getting the top of the cage back on, put her in the cage towelled and let her work her way out.
Be sure to use zip/twist ties if the cage needs reinforced, especially if you carry it by a handle on the removable top.

KiwiConure

Strolling the yard
Yes! Thank you!

If I had more notice, this definitely would not be the cage I chose. I'm dreading keeping her in there for so long. After tomorrow I'll be working on more positivity with this little cage, it'd be great for little sight seeing trips or daytime sun baths.

LovieLouie

Sprinting down the street
View attachment 407426

Got her with less man-handling than I imagined! Gotta keep reminding myself it's only for a few hours, poor thing
give her some treats while she’s in there and some fun toys this way she associates treats and fun things with her little cage.
I think a little sight seeing /sunbathing is a good idea too it will keep her busy :)

KiwiConure

Strolling the yard
give her some treats while she’s in there and some fun toys this way she associates treats and fun things with her little cage.
I think a little sight seeing /sunbathing is a good idea too it will keep her busy :)
With spacing issues, I only gave her two of her usual favourite toys (both shredding, one with a bell) and some treats! She got strawberries at my sister's. Tomorrow is another long day in there for her, so I might take her sight seeing. Maybe to a park and enjoy some air