• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Size Pipe Insulation Collar

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Birds3Kids

Walking the driveway
My poor rescue ekkie girl is going to town shredding her feathers. So I put a bubble collar on her yesterday and she finally went to town on all the shredding toys I put in her cage. I am hoping to teach her to shred paper, toys, feather boas and phone books instead, but in the meantime....

QUESTION: For those of you who have used them, what size pipe insulation collar did you use for your bird? I have a Vos Ekkie which about the size of a Congo African Grey. I was just wandering what diameter would best fit.

Thanks, Page

Coco's Momma

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Robin
I've never seen pipe insulation used.:o: In the olden days, the vets would take a piece of x-ray film, fold it in a cone shape, put felt rubber around the neck opening and staple it shut. That was so many years ago that dinosaurs roamed the earth. The ones I've always seen since then are the adjustable, clear kind that have snaps like this:

Protective Bird Collar

But I have seen them worn 'down' instead of up like in the picture. Perhaps depends on the length and the bird.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
found some more information...read down through the site....
Feather Plucking / Chewing: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment Options as well as Prevention

Here is another site on insulation collars.. depending on the LENGTH of your birds neck from where the wings are fixed to the body to below the "jaw" of your bird is how I would measure the 'length' of the collar...too short and the bird will reach his chest...you can do a couple at different lengths and see what fits the best...
How to Make a Tube Collar for Parrots | QuakerParrots.com

Last edited:

2Birds3Kids

Walking the driveway
I have been searching my "favorites" but found the "site" gone now...
Check out this:
http://forums.avianavenue.com/bird-...human-collar-mutilators-pluckers-injured.html
:hug8:
I have done the pipe insulation but have to find the instruction! Hope this helps instead!
Yes, I've made one of those before, but I wanted to take the short cut and use pipe insulation as it is basically the same thing as what she made, but quicker. I was wondering what diameter pipe insulation would be best though.

Status
Not open for further replies.