• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sitting on the bottom of the cage

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
And thank you! Because I have learned a lot right along with you because of this thread. Let us know how your sweet girl gets on!

Char.bird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charlotte
And thank you! Because I have learned a lot right along with you because of this thread. Let us know how your sweet girl gets on!
No thank you and I will keep everyone updated.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
very green like nearly neon!
Did you have a pic? Are they still neon?
Here is a good reference for poops; Is your bird suffering from poopology - All about bird droppings

I'm gonna weigh her now and see if the weight has changed
My lovie eggs come in at 4 grams. I don´t know how much a budgie egg weighs, but I would guess at least 2, maybe more 3g.

As @Zara said, make sure she has a cuttlebone or mineral block for extra calcium
For calcium, pellets as part of the diet help. You can also offer things like carrots, bok choy, kale, sweet potato, collared greens, broccoli, dill, basil, parsley.
If your bird won´t eat veggies, sesame seeds are a good source of calcium, as are chia seeds.
15 minutes of direct (not through a window) sunlight will give your bird vitamin D3 to help absorb the calcium they are eating.

How is your bird doing today?

Char.bird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charlotte
Did you have a pic? Are they still neon?
They are alseep now so I'll get a photo in the morning but I think that they are slowly tonning down but she isnt pooping as often as I was trying to get a photo but I wasnt able to catch her pooping.
For calcium, pellets as part of the diet help. You can also offer things like carrots, bok choy, kale, sweet potato, collared greens, broccoli, dill, basil, parsley.
If your bird won´t eat veggies, sesame seeds are a good source of calcium, as are chia seeds.
15 minutes of direct (not through a window) sunlight will give your bird vitamin D3 to help absorb the calcium they are eating.
She does have her harrisons pellets avalible at all times and ate all her chop this morning. Should I get a cuttle bone? They are also near a window and get good sunlight.
How is your bird doing today?
She did well today and I didnt see her on the bottom of the cage yet but usaully in the morning I find her there. Shes been active when hanging out with me but otherwise is just sleeping and preening her bottom.

Thank you for all the advice and help I feel very prepared and learnt so much!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
The color of the poop would concern me.
If you get a picture of it see if you can send it to your vet, too.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cuttlebone as beak grooming aid, too! See, I did not know that...smh. :facepalm: I learn new things on this site every day! Thank you, @Zara and thank you @Char.bird

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cuttlebone as beak grooming aid, too!
Strung on toys, or attached to the cage for the smaller birds to rub their beaks and nails on is a nice little grooming addition.
I don´t buy these because I don´t feel they are worth my money (I have pedi-perches for my birds beaks and nails), but if I spot them laying on the beach I will collect them and bring them home :)

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
I'm thinking that she may be "eggy"...soon to lay an egg. She seems about the right age. Make sure that she has enough calcium in her diet. I have a green cheek who has been laying eggs for around 6 years, in the winter. I grind up some of her mineral block onto her fresh sprouts every morning...so far, so good. When you have a female lay an egg for the first time (especially if you've never witnessed it before), it can be worrisome for the owner because the bird is acting very "off" from normal. Keep watch over her to make sure everything goes well. My green cheek actually laid an egg in my hand this season! She was pretty nonchalant about it, kind of like "Here's one for you...."

Char.bird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charlotte
Hi everyone,

Update on Boo this morning!
She is looking a little bigger and has been fluffed up and preening nearly all morning. She has been sitting on the table in the same spot for about 5-10mins at a time like the picture below. I gave her chop and she it all and is getting her sunlight and fresh air now. Eveythings looking good and I appreaciate everyone sharing there experiences and helping. If she is laying how long do u think it'll be?

Thanks, Have a good day

IMG_9569.jpg

CrazyKozmo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Yeah, her rump looks "eggy"! Could be any time now. I'll usually let my girl sit on the eggs for about 2-3 weeks (they're not fertilized), as long as they're not broken (sometimes my girl plays soccer with them :rofl:), so that she doesn't just keep laying eggs constantly (that can be stressful on their bodies). My girl may have a clutch 2-3 times per season, with breaks inbetween. Please post a photo of the egg...I haven't seen budgie eggs!

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I am glad I followed this thread - my budgies are male, but if one of them had been female and I noticed these thing I would have been off to the vet ASAP!
Good to know a little more about how laying hens behave and look.

Lord please never let me end up with a female bird.

CrazyKozmo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
I seem to have females more often than males (since I've gotten birds other than budgies). I'm not looking forward to my caiques laying eggs...(they're around 7 years old, so it may be soon)...

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am glad I followed this thread - my budgies are male, but if one of them had been female and I noticed these thing I would have been off to the vet ASAP!
Good to know a little more about how laying hens behave and look.

Lord please never let me end up with a female bird.
Ha! Yes, I have two males, and I would have been off the vet immediately too! Lol! I've said it so many times, but I've learned sooooo much on this forum :)

Char.bird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charlotte
Thanks for all the help and I have learnt so much and feel much more prepared!:thanks:

Last edited: