• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sitting on the bottom of the cage

Char.bird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charlotte
Hi everyone I hope your doing well. Over the last week or so I have noticed that my budgie boo has started sitting on the bottom of the cage more and more. I am getting worried as I've heard that this is a sign of illness. I just need an outsiders perspective as I only just took her to the vet for a check up recently and everything was good and she was healthy. Is there any chance this is normal and nothing to worry about? She is still her normal self when I bring her out and train and is still flying long distances but in her cage is sleepyer and goes to the bottom. I'd appreciate any advice or insights.
Thanks,
Charlotte

IMG_1858 (1).jpg Also I just happened to take the photo when she was blinking.https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&ik=13d4bb2a33&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1678854676077641989&th=174c7d6ed51c8105&view=att&disp=safe

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What I've learned is that the droppings can tell you a lot about a bird's health. Have they changed recently in any way? Watery or a change in color that you can't attribute to some food eaten? Has her weight changed recently?

Char.bird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charlotte
What I've learned is that the droppings can tell you a lot about a bird's health. Have they changed recently in any way? Watery or a change in color that you can't attribute to some food eaten? Has her weight changed recently?
No not really her droppings are looking normal I'll add a photo when I catch a fresh one and I have been really slack with weighing her but shes been eating as usally and is enjoying her chop. I will weigh her now and then keep and eye on it. Thank you

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It may be worthwhile to give your vet a call to see what he/she thinks. Especially since she was there so recently. My budgie boys prefer to be as high up as possible, so behaviorally speaking, I'm afraid I don't have any other advice to offer. Has anything else changed in her environment that you can think of?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Important to keep a regular weighing on those tiny birds. You can't tell by looking at themWeight oss is one of the very first indications of illness.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Her cere is looking pretty crusty (hormonal), have you had any eggs recently?

Char.bird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charlotte
It may be worthwhile to give your vet a call to see what he/she thinks. Especially since she was there so recently. My budgie boys prefer to be as high up as possible, so behaviorally speaking, I'm afraid I don't have any other advice to offer. Has anything else changed in her environment that you can think of?
Yes will do. I have been keeping a good routine as Im home all day so nothings really changed thanks for all this advice.

Char.bird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charlotte
Her cere is looking pretty crusty (hormonal), have you had any eggs recently?
No I havent ever seen her lay eggs but lately shes been squated down on the table sometimes and it looks like she would be laying but when I come over to look she just stands staright up again. I have noticed she been a little more bitey/territorial lately.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That definitely sounds a little hormonal to me. With the boys, I've never really had to contend with that. Maybe decrease the daylight hours for her? Sleep 13 to 14 hours a night often helps, from what I understand. When she's in the middle of one of her squatting episodes, perhaps see if you can distract her with some target training or treat or toy.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Crusty cere, sitting on the bottom of the cage, bitey, territorial... I would be keeping an eye on her for anything laying related.

As mentioned above, weighing her (am+pm) is a good thing to do as you may spot the increase.

Be sure she is getting the nutrients she needs, (calcium, D3) and is exercising.

And watch out for any signs that something is wrong, lethargy, loss of balance, bulge (egg) but no egg after 24 hours, loss of appetite, changes to poops etc

Char.bird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charlotte
That definitely sounds a little hormonal to me. With the boys, I've never really had to contend with that. Maybe decrease the daylight hours for her? Sleep 13 to 14 hours a night often helps, from what I understand. When she's in the middle of one of her squatting episodes, perhaps see if you can distract her with some target training or treat or toy.
Ok great I'll keep an eye on her and let her sleep more. Do you think shes egg bound? Ive never had to deal with a laying bird.

Char.bird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charlotte
Crusty cere, sitting on the bottom of the cage, bitey, territorial... I would be keeping an eye on her for anything laying related.

As mentioned above, weighing her (am+pm) is a good thing to do as you may spot the increase.

Be sure she is getting the nutrients she needs, (calcium, D3) and is exercising.

And watch out for any signs that something is wrong, lethargy, loss of balance, bulge (egg) but no egg after 24 hours, loss of appetite, changes to poops etc
Yeah thats pretty much evrything she is at the moment I'll keep a really close eye on her and should I give her anything extra diet wise?

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry, I have no experience with that. I think Zara could help you with that one!

Char.bird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charlotte
Ive also just had a look at her poos and they are seeming very green like nearly neon!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That might be another symptom of the hormones or that she's getting ready to lay an egg. Hopefully someone will reply who has experience with female, egg-laying budgies! How old is your sweet girl? Is she a young bird?

Char.bird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charlotte
That might be another symptom of the hormones or that she's getting ready to lay an egg. Hopefully someone will reply who has experience with female, egg-laying budgies! How old is your sweet girl? Is she a young bird?
No shes not very young and its tunring 5. I have been trying to get a photo of her bottom as its a little red but she will not have it.

Char.bird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charlotte
Shes also doing a lot of preening down there and sratching it with her feet.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been doing a little digging and encourage you to do the same. But...from what I've read, her droppings will become less frequent but larger as the egg moves into the cloaca (egg and poop kind of compete with one another). If she was weighed at her recent vet visit, compare that with a weight you take today. A couple of gram increase may be an indication. I don't know about the redness of the cloaca, but maybe it gets pushed out a bit when the egg is very close to being laid (layed?).

Char.bird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charlotte
I've been doing a little digging and encourage you to do the same. But...from what I've read, her droppings will become less frequent but larger as the egg moves into the cloaca (egg and poop kind of compete with one another). If she was weighed at her recent vet visit, compare that with a weight you take today. A couple of gram increase may be an indication. I don't know about the redness of the cloaca, but maybe it gets pushed out a bit when the egg is very close to being laid (layed?).
Wow thats a lot of information and its really good to know I'm gonna weigh her now and see if the weight has changed. Im going to keep digging as well so that I can be 100% prepared incase. Thank you so much for everything.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As @Zara said, make sure she has a cuttlebone or mineral block for extra calcium and plenty of fresh water. Keep an eye if she is straining that goes on for too long!