• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sisal Safe? Sea grass?

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’ve generally heard that cotton and fabric is not good for parrots can cause lethal crop impactions especially in smaller birds like sun conures, However I was wondering if there where any safe alternatives to cotton perches because I observed my conure with a cotton perch and noticed heavy chewing so I decided to take it out of the cage, but I was curious if sisal or sea grass was safe too? Or if not how dangerous is it?

Aves

Sisal and seagrass are both safe.

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
My parrots have timothy hay and sea grass in their cages

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
They get their cages cleaned out regularly :) I didn’t know about the fungus and will be on the look out in case is see or smell any especially when I bring it home.
You have to be really careful with that as it can grow fungus quickly

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
can cause lethal crop impactions especially in smaller birds
Anything that is not food can cause crop impaction. So it is a case of monitoring your bird, and if you see they are eating non food items, they must be removed immediately. @Hankmacaw ´s bird could not have some items deemed ¨bird safe¨ because her bird would ingest them :(

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Some birds have mild cases or severe cases of "pica"

noun
MEDICINE
noun: pica
  1. a tendency or craving to eat substances other than normal food (such as clay, plaster, or ashes), occurring during childhood or pregnancy, or a symptom of disease.
    "adults with pica tend to be highly selective"
Jasper had what I would deem mild pica and had to be watched constantly. She became impacted twice. Once when she ate a whiffle ball (many years ago), then more recently when she started eating the wood from her toys. The first time her crop became infected and $1,000 later, after Dr. visits and antibiotics and giving her Metamucil or almond butter every day for five weeks she was well. The second time the Dr. caught it early and she just had to have Metamucil and almond butter for a couple of weeks. She could never have a wooden anything after that. You should put you bird's poop in a plastic sack, if you have any suspicions that they are eating non-edible items, and squash the poop around looking for foreign items.

All I can say about the Timothy Hay and sea grass as substrate, is that you are playing with fire both with impaction and with Aspergillosis or another fungal infection. You sure don't want to deal with Aspergillosis. Good old paper is by far and away the safest best substrate for birds. None of the chips and stuff like it are safe.

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
If you notice your birds eating the cotton perches and other kinds are not sold near you (we have some difficulty getting the biodegradable ones here), you can also switch out her perches for more natural ones.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Does this mean that shredding toys are unsafe? I have some made of sisal, seagrass & dried corn cob.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Does this mean that shredding toys are unsafe? I have some made of sisal, seagrass & dried corn cob.
Any toy can be unsafe for varying reasons. We have to know our birds well and be able to pick up on potential hazards with toys and accessories- what is safe for some birds may not be safe for others depending on how they each play with or use the toy. If your birds eat the shredding material then it is not safe for them. Neither of my birds eat things they are not meant to so shredding toys are perfectly fine for my birds. Any item your bird ingests that is not food is unsafe.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Marzipan found a spot on the long manzanita perch where the bark is peeled off. He's determined to eat it & I think he ate a piece of wood. I saw him. Is that bad?

Zettobi

Meeting neighbors
My vet said that lorikeets tend to have an issue with ingesting things they shouldn't, and as such wouldn't recommend any rope, seagrass or sisal in their cages at all. Crop impaction can happen from all of these materials but is more likely with fabric-based materials. If you don't have a lorikeet, seagrass and sisal are the best options if you want to include these as enrichment, but you still need to monitor their usage and remove if you realise your bird is ingesting anything they shouldn't

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
I have heard that if ingested sisal will pass through their system. Can't remember where I heard that.