• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Single Mom laying egg(s)

hobiased

Moving in
Real Name
Icaro
Hello!
My cockatiel, Lestat, has been in bring-me-a-boyfriend mood for the past few weeks. From the research I did when it started, it said it's natural and there's nothing I can do about it, but!! this morning I woke her up to find one egg being sat on in the bottom of the cage. I'm googling the matter, but honestly any information will help calm my heart. What should I do? How can I help her? There's only one egg and she's already sitting on it, should I expect more? Is there a special diet to single moms? What do I do!!

Kay3

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karene
You should giver her a calcium and vitamin D mix for parrots - especially if she is an inside bird-to either mix in food or water (there will be instructions on the product you buy) this will help her body lay the eggs with hopefully no issue. Let her sit on them for maybe 2 weeks so that she doesn’t lay more. I’m sure someone else can offer you better information this is just what I can think of off the top of my head.

hobiased

Moving in
Real Name
Icaro
She left the cage on her own and has been in my desk while I work (which is our usual routine) for a few minutes now, walking around and playing. Should I put her back? Or just let her be? Also I added a flat surface in the bottom of the cage so that she could move the egg around more easily. I'll go out later today and buy the calcium and vitamin D mix as well as those bone rocks (I don't know the proper english name,,).

Kay3

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karene
Just let her do whatever she is happy doing, and do you mean cuttlefish bones?

hobiased

Moving in
Real Name
Icaro
@Kay3 I googled it and I'm not sure? I don't think it's the same thing, the "rock" I got is rectangular and is kinda like calcium dust pressed together with some other vitamins.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Mineral stone like this

Cuttle bone

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Your bird might lay an egg every other day until she feels she’s laid a full clutch. I would let her sit on it whenever she wants, but sometimes hens won’t sit on the eggs until three or so are laid. It can sometimes take three weeks for them to get tired of sitting in them, so don’t take them out before this. Dummy eggs are helpful to have on hand to help her feel like she doesn’t need to lay anymore. Just follow the directions if you get them and put them in all at once. A flat surface is good, just don’t add a nest. When you do take them out, do it one at a time.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Congrats...you're a grandparent. :)
Your bird might lay an egg every other day until she feels she’s laid a full clutch. I would let her sit on it whenever she wants, but sometimes hens won’t sit on the eggs until three or so are laid. It can sometimes take three weeks for them to get tired of sitting in them, so don’t take them out before this. Dummy eggs are helpful to have on hand to help her feel like she doesn’t need to lay anymore. Just follow the directions if you get them and put them in all at once. A flat surface is good, just don’t add a nest. When you do take them out, do it one at a time.
Great advice. I've had single tiels lay eggs before...many times, in fact. At first, we'd supply nesting material...she would lay her eggs on the grate and ignore the nesting material. Sometimes they would sit on them...other instances, they wouldn't. We finally got dummy eggs and did what @Tiel Feathers said.

A calcium supplement is a good idea to add to her diet at this time...

Last edited:

hobiased

Moving in
Real Name
Icaro
I believe it's a mineral stone.
I saw dummy eggs at the store and I'm thinking of getting some, one or grandchildren that will never hatch are enough.

Thank you all for the tips so far! :loveshower: