• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Simple DIY tabletop perch (or t-stand) if you cannot order online

M&M Ninja

Strolling the yard
Since we full-time travel in an RV, it is not always possible to order stuff online. We were needing a tabletop perch for training so we put one together with only TWO parts that we found locally (plus a random screw we had on hand). We used:

1) This rodent 'hut' as the base. $4.49
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/you-and-me-woodland-hide-a-way-small

2) This barkless perch cut in half. $5.18
Wild Harvest Natural Branch for Birds, Attachable to Cages - Walmart.com

Total cost $9.67

The cage attachment hardware of the perch became the attachment scheme to connect it to the base. We cut the perch at a place that would both make it a rather low perch (and therefore not likely to tip over if she flew onto it) and that would also give it more surface area on the top perch itself. The only modification to the base was to drill a holl.

There is a larger base at Petco for less than $15. If we had more space on our dinette table, I would have gotten that one. With such a large surface area on each side, it offers a lot of places to connect vertical polls from which to hang toys, branches, etc.

IMG_20190930_124006101.jpg
IMG_20190930_124014376.jpg
IMG_20190930_124026542.jpg

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Since we full-time travel in an RV, it is not always possible to order stuff online. We were needing a tabletop perch for training so we put one together with only TWO parts that we found locally (plus a random screw we had on hand). We used:

1) This rodent 'hut' as the base. $4.49
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/you-and-me-woodland-hide-a-way-small

2) This barkless perch cut in half. $5.18
Wild Harvest Natural Branch for Birds, Attachable to Cages - Walmart.com

Total cost $9.67

The cage attachment hardware of the perch became the attachment scheme to connect it to the base. We cut the perch at a place that would both make it a rather low perch (and therefore not likely to tip over if she flew onto it) and that would also give it more surface area on the top perch itself. The only modification to the base was to drill a holl.

There is a larger base at Petco for less than $15. If we had more space on our dinette table, I would have gotten that one. With such a large surface area on each side, it offers a lot of places to connect vertical polls from which to hang toys, branches, etc.

View attachment 316331
View attachment 316332
View attachment 316333
Nice work, many of us work on a budget, Ty for sharing your work of perch art!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Cool idea! Looks good :thumbsup:

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So clever and really attractive too!

M&M Ninja

Strolling the yard
Thanks! She started flying to it right away and knows how to land so as not to rock the boat. Periodically, she'll station on it like this -
IMG_20191002_115722343.jpg
It doesn't last very long though. When she goes there, either independently or by being placed, I praise, head scratch, and offer the most interesting toys. Shoulder time is nice for us both, but I definitely want a reliable 'go over there and be good' place.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Looks good. And she is so cute .

TheBirds

Sprinting down the street
So clever! We have even fewer resources available in Canada (we don't have Petco and I doubt our Walmarts have the perches) but I WISH I'd stumbled across this thread last night. I've been spending hours and hours looking online for a T-bar style perch for our Coco (parrotlet) and this would totally have fit the bill.

Earlier today I decided to just modify a small T-bar perch to sit in a stainless steel dish or tray such that the tray underneath can be easily detached for a thorough cleaning. Kinda excited to order all the parts and get to work!