• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Silicone Help

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have to put silicone around my window frame, any thoughts on the odor factor and the brand

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Once cured, any brand should be safe around birds. Silicone is non-toxic, but of course, not good to eat since it is indigestible. While curing, birds should be kept out of the area.

For silicone that will be used in aquariums or vivariums, you want to specifically look for pure 100% silicone without mold inhibitors or other chemical additives, since they could leach into the water and harm your fish or frogs. GE I silicone is the brand and type I was recommended to use on my frog tank.

There are also brands that are marketed specifically for use in aquariums or vivariums, but they usually come at a significant price markup for the same thing. Regardless of the brand, you must keep pets away while the silicone is off-gassing. It has a strong odor until it finishes curing and the fumes could be harmful. Once it has cured, it is safe and chemically inert.

Personally, I would just buy whatever product is recommended for your home project, since it is not being used inside an animal enclosure and the white silicone usually matches windows better than clear or black. Mold inhibitors should not be a significant concern ... and they will help to prevent mold which is a potential health risk for birds, too. But if you are worried about extra chemicals, look for 100% silicone and use it with confidence.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@Destiny Thanks for the info. How long does it take to cure, should I board Valentine to be on the safe side? Everybody wears a mask and no one is allowed in, the techs do all the pickups, etc

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Silicone sealant generally cures within 24 hours. Check the package labeling for exact times and make sure that the tube has not passed its "best by" date as that can affect how long it takes to set-up properly.

The primary source of fumes during the curing process is from concentrated acetic acid. Basically, strong vinegar smell. In high concentrations, it is irritating to the lungs or eyes and if you work with silicone in a poorly ventilated space, you might feel dizzy or light-headed. If you are able to move the bird into a separate room with a closed door and good ventilation in your workspace, that should be fine. The fumes should dissipate without reaching the bird.

If you are not able to move the bird away from the working area, you could board them for a day or two to allow for drying time and bring the bird back when the smell is no longer detectable.