• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Silicone Baking Mats? Safe or Pass?

plushbytes

Meeting neighbors
I was recently gifted a set of 4 silicone baking mats for Christmas. I haven't used them yet because I wanted to make sure they're bird safe, I'm gonna need some help!

It's specifically this kind : https://www.amazon.com/MIU-Macaroon...garden&sprefix=miu+silicone,garden,168&sr=1-4

It's advertised as "BPA Free" and "PFOA Free" and contains silicone and fiberglass. I am worried that fiberglass may be an issue because I saw another member on here talk about how it set off their smoke alarm and they immediately rushed their bird outside.

Does this look safe? If not, it's no worries! I'll just gift it to someone with no birds :)

In case anyone else is wondering, everything in my kitchen is bird safe. Safe pots/pans baking dishes, no self-cleaning oven, no teflon appliances. I'm just being extra cautious...

Ephy

Walking the driveway
I just asked this same question!

I bought amazon basic silicone flat sheets for our pans and created a new thread on it.

Responses I received, ensure silicone is safe as long as you wash it well before use.

But, I hope others will chime in, in case I read this wrong

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I use silicone but I don’t think it’s the same as what you have. I don’t recall reading anything about fibreglass being in my ones.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Pass!! Give them to someone with no pets,.

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
I use silicone but I don’t think it’s the same as what you have. I don’t recall reading anything about fibreglass being in my ones.
They use the same goo as they used to make your mats, only with fiberglass inside to cut costs (oddly enough, the silicone goo costs more than the fiberglass substrate). The fiberglass is literally spun and woven glass . . . about as benign a substance there is, so long as it isn't eaten.

We use it in our house . . . but mostly as poop-mats. Everything washes right off. Heck, often it will slide right off.

We have a few of these as dedicated cooking mats (don't want to mix them up ;) ) built like these, and no fumes or odors we've sensed, and FWIW, Essie has been fine around it.