• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Silicone bake ware is it safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
As I stated on another thread about stoneware being safe. I said i read the other day where silcone bake ware almost killed some ones parrot

I haven't found that one yet but found this
I do not have specific scientific knowledge about silicone bakeware but I do have an anecdotal story about it.

My sister-in-law has a friend who had 3 parrots. On Thanksgiving she decided to use the silicone mat in her oven. Two of her birds died. The third was saved. The vet stated that it was due to the silicone mat she used.

This alone would make me NOT use the product. Even only one experience like this would be enough for me to consider the product toxic to exotic birds such as parrots.

http://www.dld123.com/q&a/index.php?cid=922

found this one as well - they don't link where they found the story at though

WARNING! PTFE in Silicone Bakeware! - ThePerch.net Message Boards - The Friendliest Pet Bird / Parrot Forum on the Net !

here is the one i was reading the other day just not on the same site but it is exactly the same story

A Parrot for Keeps: Warning about silicone bake & cook ware

so if you use Silicone bake ware might want to think twice, contact the manufacture and don't take the answer "any bakeware can let off fumes at over 500 Degrees. because i am sorry i don't know any one who cooks at that temp. in a HOUSE

I think the highest any thing i've ever cooked said 475 and I don't even set it to that. I do 400 and let it cook longer

Parrotlove

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Barbie
Here is a bit of info I found that may be helpful for you as well. The person in the letter contacted one of the companys that makes and sells this cookwear and they say at certain temp it may be hazardous?

http://dld123.com/q&a/index.php?cid=922

Last edited:

Hendryx

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridie
I was told it is safe, I have it, dosn't matter really though because I don't use it anyway,I don't bake..if it's not,I have a truck load of silicone bakeware for sale!! lol..

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I couldn't find any "scientific" thing that said yes its safe or no its not safe

but I know it does stink i've looked at it at the store

i'm not planning on buying any - just wanted to put it out since i found so many different stories where it killed birds I wouldn't want one of those stories to be from here

My cake pan is glass, as is my loaf pan for corn bread too bad they don't make glass cookie sheets or glass muffin pans - if they do i sure can't find them lol

norwegian_blue

Strolling the yard
I heard they are a risk even for people. Unfortunately, I can't dig up the exact info right now regarding their safety concern. I'll try to look into it tomorrow.
We wanted to buy some last year but were deterred based on what we had heard about them.

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
Wow! I appreciate you posting this. I was going to buy some, but no way. I don't take risks with my babies.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
So stoneware is safe to use then? Good because that is what I use to bake with. LOL
everything i've found so far says Yes it is safe.

I heard they are a risk even for people. Unfortunately, I can't dig up the exact info right now regarding their safety concern. I'll try to look into it tomorrow.
We wanted to buy some last year but were deterred based on what we had heard about them.
I think a couple of the links i posted may mention its not safe for humans either, I can't remember now but i know i read it - but i don't think it said exactly why

Wow! I appreciate you posting this. I was going to buy some, but no way. I don't take risks with my babies.
I considered it because of a infomerical i saw on t.v but seeing in the store. I was like um no This stuff is flimsy - granted I wouldn't actually break it like i eventually will my glass pans But it just didn't seem like bake ware to me it seemed more like something you'd give a toddler to play with, with her fake stove

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Oh bugger. I just can't win with my bakeware, can I? We avoid teflon and swapped to silicone, which works very well. But it's not safe either? Crud. A lot of our glassware broke when I was younger. I still haven't grown out of my clumsiness yet.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
so if you use Silicone bake ware might want to think twice, contact the manufacture and don't take the answer "any bakeware can let off fumes at over 500 Degrees. because i am sorry i don't know any one who cooks at that temp. in a HOUSE

I think the highest any thing i've ever cooked said 475 and I don't even set it to that. I do 400 and let it cook longer
You may not cook at a higher temperature than that but all it takes is to forget about that pan once, have it boil dry and it "will" rise above that temperature in no time.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli

You may not cook at a higher temperature than that but all it takes is to forget about that pan once, have it boil dry and it "will" rise above that temperature in no time.
ooh i know that , that's why i pretty much stay in the kitchen while I'm cooking or the laundry room right beside the kitchen - that way i don't forget I'm cooking

CeddysMum

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')

I agree, and that's exactly why I'm glad that my oven has a timer - used extensively regardless of what cook/bakeware I'm using.

Apart from that, I'd bought a silicon loaf baking dish a while ago (long before I had Ceddy) and didn't like it so I'm not using it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.