• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Silence of the canary

Pigeonplus

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jim
I have a male gloster canary. When he sings he sings up a storm. Sometimes I wish his song was a little different but he’s a great lil bird. I feed pellets and always water. Treats on occasion but early this spring he stopped singing and went into what I thought was a soft molt. His cage was was to close to a regularly used door It was also on top of the fridge ( resident feline). Up till then he was singing up a storm. How can I fill this house with his pretty song again. Or is he just molting and I have to wait for him. Insight? Suggestions. Thanks !!!!

Jogging around the block
Generally canaries won't sing then they're moulting. If he can view a cat that could also be a reason, cats are predators to birds which will stress them, usually making them stop singing. Mine also wont sing when the the daylight hours shorten.

Pigeonplus

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jim
Cage is high above the cat Is there a way to speed the molt. It’s been a number of months. Bird seems healthy I miss his song!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd try him in a room the cat isn't allowed in & can't infiltrate.

longyearwinds

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
essi
glosters molt way harder than other canaries because their feathers are way thicker. Typically same deal with borders. It can also be due to the amount of sunlight theyre getting. Ive found birds in my dining room go through a quicker molt where theres a good amount of regular daylight than the birds in my bedroom, where its darker. Youll just have to wait it out. my glosters just began singing again after about 4 months, but he also lives with girls so he has no real reason to sing.

Pigeonplus

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jim
Thanks! I’ve taken him off the fridge and moved him out of the kitchen. He is now on an old fashioned cage stand. Only problem. There is little natural light in the living room. But I am now spritzing him w water every other day. He goes bonkers when I bring out the spritzer!!! Maybe he will start sooner with my making him happy!!!! I love this lil bird he has sooo much personality it almost makes up for his silence

longyearwinds

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
essi
Thanks! I’ve taken him off the fridge and moved him out of the kitchen. He is now on an old fashioned cage stand. Only problem. There is little natural light in the living room. But I am now spritzing him w water every other day. He goes bonkers when I bring out the spritzer!!! Maybe he will start sooner with my making him happy!!!! I love this lil bird he has sooo much personality it almost makes up for his silence
My glosters are just my absolute favorite canaries (sorry to my others lol !!) they are so funny with huge personalities. i call them little ‘wookies’ like the animal from star wars (one of them is actually named wookie as well) water might help him cheer up a bit. my molting birds would take a bath everyday if given the chance. when they all molt i could probably make pillows from their fluff theres so much of it !

with my leftover veggies from my parrots, i give them a little dish and they eat all of it. they get vitamins regularly once a week in addition to their seed diet. im honeslty unsure if this will speed the molt, but it at least keeps them nice and healthy while they're going through a hard time.

Pigeonplus

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jim
Thanks! I’ll try both the veggies and vitamins!! Do u breed them? Where are u? I’m in Mass near cape cod. Thanks for the feedback

longyearwinds

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
essi
Thanks! I’ll try both the veggies and vitamins!! Do u breed them? Where are u? I’m in Mass near cape cod. Thanks for the feedback
Wow. That is hilarious. I am also in MA near the cape.

I have bred my other Canaries (red factors, some mosaics that I no longer keep) and my finches. The glosters are mainly pets for the cuteness, however I do have 2 males and 2 females at 2020/2021 of age that I haven't ruled out breeding. I can't say they are the best parents, however ! I've heard of people having all sorts of difficulties with them. I made one attempt so far which they didn't seem able to figure out probably about 2 months back. But they are young yet so I'll likely give them another chance in the future. I only breed as a hobby so I don't really have a set schedule or a specific timing for what I have available when. I'm not a show breeder either, though I do try to breed healthy, well-matched birds. I'm mostly just getting started more "seriously". I've dabbled in a few other species as I was learning, but I've more or less decided to settle mainly on Gouldians, finches, and then a few canaries on the side.

Did you buy your bird locally ? I know there are quite a few stores around the area, although stock has been quite difficult these days ! I almost wondered if you were who I sold my last Gloster to, however they were out in RI so it must just be coincidence.

Pigeonplus

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jim
I got my gloster from a private breeder near Plymouth ma! I guess females are tuff to find now I did give thot to getting a female but ? I’d rather enjoy his song

longyearwinds

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
essi
I got my gloster from a private breeder near Plymouth ma! I guess females are tuff to find now I did give thot to getting a female but ? I’d rather enjoy his song
it is difficult to find females at the moment. it's difficult to find most birds/canaries & softbills at the moment in general, but a lot of the big canary breeders have gotten out of it just because food prices have been reaching an astronomical high lately.

i do agree if there's one thing i miss it's my boy wookies beautiful song ! but i have a lot of other little birds to fill that void, and he's a happy boy so i can't complain.

Pigeonplus

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jim
I guess glosters are NOT common and hard to find. My male is capped(sooo kewl) I would need a female that isn’t. I’m in NO rush. But if you breed your birds and have an uncapped female would you keep me in mind please ? Again,no rush no anything. Thanks!

longyearwinds

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
essi
I guess glosters are NOT common and hard to find. My male is capped(sooo kewl) I would need a female that isn’t. I’m in NO rush. But if you breed your birds and have an uncapped female would you keep me in mind please ? Again,no rush no anything. Thanks!
sorry didn't see your reply ! 'capped' glosters, or crested glosters, are called coronas. i actually personally don't keep coronas, only consorts. i've had to trim a few coronas down just because their visibility can sometimes be poor. if i do get any babies in the future, i'll reach out. typically gendering the birds doesn't come until at least 8 months of age unless done by DNA, and as i don't currently have plans, it could be quite a while into the future !