• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Signs of serious injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I had Keiko (Quaker) out and my brother walked out the door and Keiko went to follow and he went smack bang into the door. The tip of his beak is bleeding a little and I went to put him in his cage and he couldn't perch (really wobbly), I thought maybe he got a bit of a shock, so I held him and cuddled him for a few mins and put him back in his cage on the bottom.

At the moment he's sitting on his food dish (which I put on the bottom for him) without any problems, but I'm SO worried that there could be more damage done, he hit the door pretty hard, I heard the thump. :(

I need to know what are some signs if there's more of a serious injury, like a head injury and anything else.

My mum's really, really upset. I hope he'll be okay.

GreenParrot

Sprinting down the street
I cant be much help with such an incident. Does he breathe normally? I think that you should call your avian vet and ask him/her to bring the bird in for a check up asap. I wish with all my heart that everthing will be fine with your litlle fella.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Keep an eye on him. The danger is going to come from concussion. I would put all his perches down low so there is no chance of him falling off. If he is still wobbly I would get him into the vets. I would probably take him in anyway because sometimes this type of injury doesn't show any signs until a few days later and then it could be too late.

Ginger

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
His breathing is fine - there's no labored breathing or anything.

I did put the perches down low, well I put his main one, his rope perch, the furthest down. He is climbing around the cage, drinking and eating, he's even been talking, but still, I do worry about concussion. Oh and he's not wobbly now, he can perch fine, he's been walking up and down his rope perch.

I have to go to an appointment early tomorrow, so I'll see if my mum can take him in. For tonight, I'm keeping him in my room.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
If there's an internal injury it takes a little while to bleed enough inside to cause problems. I'm not trying to scare you, just to let you know that sometimes it can happen. It happend in humans too. If he starts looking lethargic and disoriented, get him in ASAP.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I would get him in asap...I hate to scare you like this but a rescue tiel of ours did just that..she hit a wall while flying...she seemed fine..no signs of anything wrong at all.. a week later, she died in m y hands..the vet said she had bruised lungs from t he collision..you need to get Keiko in whether or not she seems ill or not...

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
The most important thing that is needed when a bird is injured due to trauma, or shock is warmth and fluids. The fluids help keep blood volumnes up. Fluids need to profuse the tissues so that the area injured does not get starved of oxygen to the tissues.

It might be best to phone the vet and explain what happened. What I personally do, because I have the supplies on hand is give Sub-Q fluids, and B-complex vitamins.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Update..

I stayed up with Keiko until 3am this morning, I'd have stayed up longer if I didn't have to get up at 7am, but he was fine when I went to bed.. I had the heater going for 30 mins and I made sure he ate and drank before I covered him.

This morning he's been a champ apparently. I went out and came home and mum said Keiko and the Cockatiels have been screaming to each other back and forth. (calling for "Charlieeeee" a lot lol) Mum gave him his veggies and some fruit, and he ate everything and is acting completely fine.

Mum did ring the Avian Vet, told her what had happened last night and that he was wobbly and etc etc. The Avian Vet said to keep a very close eye on him, if he starts vomiting, or is lethargic and goes off his food to take him in straight away. For now.. we have to watch him and hope for the best that it's not serious.

My mum's got him out right now, he's enjoying some scritches and stretching his wings. I told mum to not have him out for long, so see how everything goes!

ETA: I forgot to add this.. when I got home and walked into my bedroom Keiko said really loudly "HELLO KEIKOOO!" :lol:

Last edited:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
sounds good Renae

sending healing energy and positive thoughts for him (and you :) )

:hug8:

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
You may need to feed him mushy foods, as I am sure his beak is hurting him right now. Glad he is doing beter!

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Oh no!! I am sorry this happened. How is he doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.