• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Side effect of antibiotics meant to cure vomiting. Allergy?

ashley0910

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Hi everyone,

My male lovebird was vomiting for a few days and I brought him to the vet today. The vet did a stain test and found that there are many cocci bacteria. The vet prescribed him antibiotics Curam to be given 14 days and Metolon Syrup for 3-4days.

Before we vet to the vet, he was fine and active and his poop is pretty normal (green and solid poops). He is on a seed diet.

However, after we are back from the vet and I fed him both the antibiotics and metolon syrup prescribed by the vet, his poop starts to change.

It changes from green to light green and now it was like black color. Some of his poop is stuck to his vent. It was sticky black like poop.

Otherwise, he is still pretty normal but seemed to be tired.

Has anyone here have any experience with the side effect of antibiotics?

Is this like an allergy? Not sure is this suppose to be normal? I will give the vet a call tomorrow but I am afraid she is out of the office till Saturday.

ashley0910

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
I went to check up on him after posting the previous post, his poop is rather solid now but it seemed a little sticky still.

Thankfully it was rather like forest green now instead of black like poop.

I gave him medication at 4 pm and now it is 1 am at my side.

Seemed like the antibiotics reducing its effect slowly.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe he was dehydrated initially? Definitely check with the vet and make sure it’s okay. I do know that some medications can make our birdies feel nauseous, but sometimes they are the more effective ones and the best to use if the bird can tolerate it.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Antibiotics can also kill off some of the good bacteria in the gut, leading to changes in poo. I would definitely call the vet and explain what's going on. It may be something that the vet would like you to come in for.

An avian probiotic can help re-establish some of the good bacteria.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Antibiotics can also kill off some of the good bacteria in the gut, leading to changes in poo. I would definitely call the vet and explain what's going on. It may be something that the vet would like you to come in for.

An avian probiotic can help re-establish some of the good bacteria.
Yep, my vet always wants us to use probiotics daily after antibiotics (she likes the Morning Bird brand).

ashley0910

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Thank you for all your replies. I contacted the vet but she was out of office till Saturday. I will give her a call on Saturday. As of now I stopped giving him the antibiotics and his poop is back to normal and he’s being more active than he was on antibiotics.

The vet did give us probiotics and I have been giving them to him. As of now he stopped vomiting after having the first dose of antibiotics. *finger cross* I will see what the vet suggests on Saturday :)

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Did you complete the course of anitiotics? It's very important that any antibiotic treatment is completed in full, otherwise you don't kill all the bacteria.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
That antibiotic is a derivative of Amoxicillin which is a penicillin. Nausea and vomiting can be a side effect. The other medication you mentioned is one given in Pakistan so I dont know much about it. Probiotic is the way to go and definately complete the days vet said to give medication.

ashley0910

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Hi, thank you for all your kind words.
I have spoken to the vet and she say it is unlikely that he have black poop due to the antibiotics. Black poop might be due to the ulcers in the organs which leads to internal bleeding but we can’t be sure. I am continuing the dosage and we will observe again if I spotted any black poop again then we will have to go back to the vet for review.