• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sick Zebra finch

fluff86

Walking the driveway
This morning when changing the food and water in my aviary there was a finch sitting on the floor not wanting to move and just wants to sleep. He has been ill for a while now but he has never been this bad and I was able to just pick him up very easily and pop him into the hospital cage.

He looks like he has been in a fight, he has his flight feathers missing and more missing on his back. I can't see any blood on him I think maybe the other birds have been beating him up because they know he isn't well.

I have nothing to offer him right now other than fresh water and bird seed and a bit of hay to line the bottom of the cage with and so that he can has something comfortable to sit on if he wants to sit on the bottom of the cage.

I'm out of S76 and I can't find any apple cider vinegar anywhere. I have ordered a bottle of s76 but there is no telling when it will arrive.

Any tips such as food or homemade remedies or any other useful info to get this poorly guy back on his feet would be much appreciated.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
I finally found some apple cider vinegar and some other medicines from the pet store but sadly he is dying its to late. He isn't going to make it. It looks like he has a couple more hours to live at the most I will have to think about where to bury him with a prayer to send him on his way to the after life.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so very sorry for your loss.
:sadhug2:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
:sorrow:Fly free, little finch. I'm so sorry.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I’m so sorry for your loss :sadhug2:

fluff86

Walking the driveway
Thanks people for your kind responses.

I had a feeling he wasn't going to live long when I got my finches but I didn't spot he was ill until later on when he was sleeping alot. I tried my best to keep him going for as long as I could hoping he would make a full recovery and one point I thought he did but then he got ill again. He could have been an old finch. This time around, it was his time to go. We all have to say good bye to our pets at some stage its all part of life.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So very sorry for your loss :sorrow:

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award