• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Sick quaker, what can I do right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
My rescue quaker, Buddy, went to my vet (who is wonderful) on the friday after I got him on a Sunday. About 2 1/2 weeks ago. Everything was fine. Blood work and all.

Fast forward to last friday, he was a little listless and had some slight tail bobbing. The snow storm was coming in (we got about 2 feet of it) and I couldn't get there (figures?!) so my vet phoned in Trimethoprim Sulfa. He seemed to improve although the med made him nauseated. He would spit a little of it back at times. I talked to my vet on Tuesday morning of this week and he said stop the med and see what happened. I could kick my self now for not taking him in right then even though the roads were still very bad. He seemed better though. By Wednesday he was not eating too much again so I went back to hand feeding him and put him back on the med like my vet said to do if he got worse. I wanted to take him back in yesterday but my vet was gone for the holidays.

Buddy started bobbing his head up and down when he was eating his seed (that's what he came here on and since he has had such a hard time his diet has remained the same, no changes until he gets better, although I do offer different things along with seed) and today he did regurgitate a little. It was white. I don't know if it was seed (he was eating mostly white millet) or yeast?

I have called every vet in this town and no one but no one is on call that knows anything about birds. One is in the northern part of the state I live in but that is 4 hours from here and oh my god they want over $100 just for the exam. I have $300 left in my bird vet acct. and they won't take payments or even hold a check for a week. I don't even know what tests they would want to do. And there is an ice storm moving in. GREAT!!! The cost of living is much higher up there, down here it is $42 for an exam.

My vet will be back on Tuesday and I can take him in then but what do I do until then? I have been giving him formula and he eats that just fine. He has regurgitated just a small amnt of it once.

I am so upset and crying that I don't even know if this makes sense.

I do have an appt with a vet on Saturday that is about an hour and 1/2 from here. I hope he'll be ok until then. I hope it's not over $300 because we just don't have it until hubby gets paid on Friday. God I wish he would hold a check for the remaining balance, if there is any.

Why does this have to happen on a holiday? The vet I have an appt with on Saturday is usually the oncall er vet for around here. He is taking today and tomorrow off and God only knows how much that visit will be and he doesn't take a held check either.

Sometimes Buddy acts fine, plays, talks, squawks, but sometimes he acts like he doesn't feel too good.

I have GSE and garlic powder just in case it is yeast, should I mix some with his formula? It's hard to treat something without diagnostics. I did find one vet on tonight from 6p to 8a but he can only do a physical exam, no diagnostics. That is useless!!

Maybe something is stuck in his crop? is it infected?

I have called every vet that one avian vet gave me within a 4 hour radius and the only one that can see him is the one that want half of my vet acct. just for an exam. God only knows what a gram stain, possible xrays, cbc, chem profile would be.

I'm so scared that I'm going to lose this guy if he takes a total turn for the worse.

I have him on heat. I'm watching him now, he's eating and isn't bobbing his head or regurgitating, could it be the antibiotic making him regurgitate? Too many questions and NO answers without a vet.

I'm scared for him. :(

My care credit is maxed and they won't up it. I rescued this little one thinking I would give him a better life. I feel like I've failed him. I wasn't sure if I would keep him and the plan was to keep him or relinquish him to Phoenix Landing. Now I wish I had got him and immediately filled out a relinquish form.

In this economy things are tight. I wanted to help him but I can't today and that is killing me.

The vet I talked to gave me the numbers of any and all possible er vets in my state. Not many on holidays.

I know this is long and may not make sense through my tears.

Please just pray that he will be ok.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Gosh Deb I am so sorry this is happening right now. Let me see if I can get some more experienced people here to help you. Do you have a heat lamp? He really needs to stay warm so he doesnt use up his energy. Let me see who I can find for you.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Get him in a hospital cage. Tented on three sides and the top. Put a heating pad set on low under one half. Put all his perches and food down low so he's not expending energy trying to get around. It's good he's taking formula, I would put a little clear pedylite in it.

Can a vet at least call in a broad spectrum antibiotic like Baytril or Clavamox to get him started until he can be seen on Tuesday?

Ginger

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
OK Deb, you need to stop crying - that isn't helping you or your bird. Do you remember what your vet said is wrong with Buddy. What type of infection?

Yes it very well could be the Tmp antibiotic that is making him regurgitate. Hank is not at all tolerant to any of the sulfas. Buddy needs it though, so maybe you can dilute it with something sweet (I use Pina Colada mix) And medicate him about 1/2 hr after you feed him.

Beyond that, do all of the standard supportive care such as keeping him warm (85-87f) and hydrated and quiet. Try to get him to eat from a spoon and try to get some handfeeding formula or oatmeal or Cream of wheat down him. Get plain pedialydte and give him 50/50 with water. Let him rest and be calm between medications and feeding.
ML

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Oh no Deb, all my best wishes Buddy will be okay! :hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Deb ML just gave you some great advice. When my Quaker was sick I moved him to my bedroom where it was warmer and quieter. I really think the quieter room helped him relax and rest.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Gosh Deb I am so sorry this is happening right now. Let me see if I can get some more experienced people here to help you. Do you have a heat lamp? He really needs to stay warm so he doesnt use up his energy. Let me see who I can find for you.
Hi, I have him on heat. A heating pad with 3 sides of the smaller cage covered. He's eating again and not bobbing his head or adjusting his crop, maybe the Sulfa is helping even though it makes him feel sick. I wish I had a heat lamp. His cage is very warm though. He is calling for my husband that he hears in the other room. That is a good sign? I hope.

Get him in a hospital cage. Tented on three sides and the top. Put a heating pad set on low under one half. Put all his perches and food down low so he's not expending energy trying to get around. It's good he's taking formula, I would put a little clear pedylite in it.

Can a vet at least call in a broad spectrum antibiotic like Baytril or Clavamox to get him started until he can be seen on Tuesday?

Ginger
Hi Ginger, I don't know of any vet that will call in or put him on any other antibiotic right now other than the Trimethoprim Sulfa. I even called the home ER vet and there is no answer. He would do injections but evidently he is not oncall.

OK Deb, you need to stop crying - that isn't helping you or your bird. Do you remember what your vet said is wrong with Buddy. What type of infection?

Yes it very well could be the Tmp antibiotic that is making him regurgitate. Hank is not at all tolerant to any of the sulfas. Buddy needs it though, so maybe you can dilute it with something sweet (I use Pina Colada mix) And medicate him about 1/2 hr after you feed him.

Beyond that, do all of the standard supportive care such as keeping him warm (85-87f) and hydrated and quiet. Try to get him to eat from a spoon and try to get some handfeeding formula or oatmeal or Cream of wheat down him. Get plain pedialydte and give him 50/50 with water. Let him rest and be calm between medications and feeding.
ML
I hope it is the med that's making him feel nauseated, if that's the case then he'll still get better even though he it makes him feel bad. I'm trying to quit crying but I'm so worried about him. I wish things like this would happen during normal business hours and surely not on Christmas. I am mixing his med with unsweetened apple sauce, he loves apple sauce. Walmart is closed here. I don't know where else to get the pedialyte. Everything is closed in this little hole in the wall town.

Oh no Deb, all my best wishes Buddy will be okay! :hug8:
Thank you!

Deb ML just gave you some great advice. When my Quaker was sick I moved him to my bedroom where it was warmer and quieter. I really think the quieter room helped him relax and rest.
I remember when he was so sick. I'm so glad he's better now. I want my baby to get better too. I prayed so hard for your little one.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
You have already gotten good advice,I just want You to know that I'm sending healing thoughts and Prayers:hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Deb, you're getting excellent advice. Stay calm so you'll be able to monitor Buddy better. If you're upset you will miss things. You probably won't need it but for a precaution get some Karo Syrup in the house in case he takes a turn for the worse so you can put some in his beak to keep his electrolytes up if he stops drinking. It's always better to be prepared so it's one less thing to have to worry about trying to find if you should need it. This is just a precaution so don't stress over my post. :hug5:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
All the above advice above is GREAT in regards to supportive care.

As to the reguritating...that is due to the tri-meth-sulfa. It can be one of the side effects. If you are handfeeding you might want to add some plain yogurt or probiotics to the formula. If you have some ground Ginger (the spice) a little bit of it added to the formula will help sooth the digestive tract.

Rather than stop the med, try mixing it in the formula to see if he holds it down. or reducing the dosage just a little. The med is ususally used for respiratory or gastrointesinal infection in handfed babies.

(((HUGS)))

liltweets

Jogging around the block
You have already gotten good advice,I just want You to know that I'm sending healing thoughts and Prayers:hug8:
Thank you Bonnie, that means so much.

Deb, you're getting excellent advice. Stay calm so you'll be able to monitor Buddy better. If you're upset you will miss things. You probably won't need it but for a precaution get some Karo Syrup in the house in case he takes a turn for the worse so you can put some in his beak to keep his electrolytes up if he stops drinking. It's always better to be prepared so it's one less thing to have to worry about trying to find if you should need it. :hug5:
Hi Marie, I have Karo syrup for my diabetic cat, whew, at least I have that. I'm trying to stay calm. I'm so scared. It's amazing how we can love these little ones in just a short time. I can't imagine a time he wasn't here. I just want to help him. Hopefully the sulfa will help him even though it seems to make him nauseated. I wish more vets were willing to take held checks or payments. Especially after we spend a lot of money from the get go. I know they need to make a living too, but a held check for a week shouldn't break them up?! If the vet almost 4 hours from here would take a held check I'd be on my way out the door. I just don't know if it would be over $300. I'm sure it would with the cost of living being so much higher even 4 hours from here. Oh God, please let this bird be ok.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You are doing a great job with your supportive care. Lots of positive thoughts and prayers that your little pal will be okay :hug8:

liltweets

Jogging around the block
All the above advice above is GREAT in regards to supportive care.

As to the reguritating...that is due to the tri-meth-sulfa. It can be one of the side effects. If you are handfeeding you might want to add some plain yogurt or probiotics to the formula. If you have some ground Ginger (the spice) a little bit of it added to the formula will help sooth the digestive tract.

Rather than stop the med, try mixing it in the formula to see if he holds it down. or reducing the dosage just a little. The med is ususally used for respiratory or gastrointesinal infection in handfed babies.

(((HUGS)))
Susanne! Thank you. Would the med make him regurgitate when he is trying to eat?
I will mix it with his apple sauce and a little formula for the next dose. I don't have any ginger, I wish I did. I just wonder if he has something stuck in his crop? He loves to chew on hubby's beard but lots of birds do that? Could hair be stuck there? And he loves wood toys, could he have swallowed some? I wish I could take him tonight to someone that knows something.

I just thank God for this forum or I would be totally in a panic.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Thank you Deb for the prayers you said for Tequila. I KNOW how you feel, it was a holiday when Tequila got sick too. The heating pad works just as well as the heat lamp. Do you have a thermometer so you can see what the temp is inside his cage? Maybe try what ML said too with mixing the med with something so he can take it down better. You are doing great, we are surrounding you with healing energy and positive thoughts. I know how much that meant to me to have everyone here rallying for us. :hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I wish more vets would take payments. I think that is even better. I think they would get more clients that way because pet owners appreciate the kindness.
I am praying for your faby's recovery. (((hugs)))

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Deb when I first brought home Austin (G2) he was regurgitating after eating. Turned out that he had 3 bacterial infections in his crop. The meds cleared it up quickly though. There can be a lot of reasons why he's doing it, many of which are easily remedied. hang in there :hug8:

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Thank you Deb for the prayers you said for Tequila. I KNOW how you feel, it was a holiday when Tequila got sick too. The heating pad works just as well as the heat lamp. Do you have a thermometer so you can see what the temp is inside his cage? Maybe try what ML said too with mixing the med with something so he can take it down better. You are doing great, we are surrounding you with healing energy and positive thoughts. I know how much that meant to me to have everyone here rallying for us. :hug8:
Hi, no I don't have a thermometer but he it feels very warm in there. Plus he is in the warmest room in the house. It does mean a lot to have everyone pulling, sending positive thoughts and prayers. Man, why do they have to get sick after hours or on a holiday? I'm so glad Tequila is better. That gives me hope. I remember how sick he was.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Yes Tequila was pretty sick. I will tell you this Deb when you get through this, you will be more prepared mentally if there ever is a next time. It is so scary when you are dealing with it, but it also makes you grow and helping an animal heal is the most wonderful feeling in the world. My confidence grew so much with the experience that if it ever happened again, I think I could handle it much better than I did the first time. You will think of so many things after your head clears. I want to do a thread about this to try and help people and share what I learned through my experience.:hug8:

liltweets

Jogging around the block
I wish more vets would take payments. I think that is even better. I think they would get more clients that way because pet owners appreciate the kindness.
I am praying for your faby's recovery. (((hugs)))
I wish they would too. The one I found almost 4 hours north of here does take payments if you're an established client. Just like my vet does if you are.

Deb when I first brought home Austin (G2) he was regurgitating after eating. Turned out that he had 3 bacterial infections in his crop. The meds cleared it up quickly though. There can be a lot of reasons why he's doing it, many of which are easily remedied. hang in there :hug8:
Thank you, I just hope he hangs on until I can get him in to see a vet. Hopefully Saturday but possibly Tuesday. He's grinding his beak now. He seems happy and content. I'm so hoping it's just the med that's making him feel bad and regurgitate. Why does avian medicine have to be so urgent and complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.