• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Sick Parrotlet! Odd Behavior!

abzly

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Abbey
Recently I noticed that whenever I took my parrotlet out to play he decided to sleep instead. An he started sleeping in odd places like my vanity and nightstand. There's nothing to perch on there...
Today he was on my shoulder and suddenly started flicking his head back and forth. Then he stretched his neck and had his tongue out. I heard him sneeze a couple times. This carried on for ten minutes until he started showing signs like he wanted to regurgitate. He never threw up and had been acting completely normal before this. He was grooming, talking, eating, bathing, and the only thing I noticed was the increased sleeping. I frantically went to the vet, as I has just lost my father, I couldn't bare to lose my birdie. The vet wanted to test his crop and prescribe three medications. He wanted $290 for the total visit. Seeing as I am unemployed and have medical issues myself I had to decline the tests and go straight to medicine to take costs down. I feel extremely guilty about it, don't worry. He had a minor bacterial infection when I took him to the vet a month and a half ago. That was treated with a antibiotic and he seemed okay after. I cleaned all his cages to make sure (yes he has three cages). He was prescribed enrofloxacin, meloxicam, and metoclopramide. I have trouble giving him his drops if anyone has any advice. As I'm very nervous to force him or hold him. I also wanted confirmation that he was prescribed proper medication for his symptoms. As I was nervous about accepting medication without being able to afford testing first.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Was he doing a neck wiggle? This is considered normal behavior in parrotlets

As for the treatment, that is not my area of expertise. @Hankmacaw @enigma731 ?

abzly

Real Name
Abbey
Was he doing a neck wiggle? This is considered normal behavior in parrotlets

As for the treatment, that is not my area of expertise. @Hankmacaw @enigma731 ?
No He Was not doing the classic mating/loving sort of regurgitation that he sometimes has done for me. This looked painful. Almost like a dry heave and his head went straight to the left and then right. Almost like he was trying to flick something off his beak or get something out of his throat but nothing was there. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Maybe your baby had a seed hull stuck and was trying to clear it out? I have to watch Rupert when he eats millet because it happens to him every once in a while. Normally he gets them out all on his own, but there was one occasion where he had me worried and fretting over him.

abzly

Real Name
Abbey
Maybe your baby had a seed hull stuck and was trying to clear it out? I have to watch Rupert when he eats millet because it happens to him every once in a while. Normally he gets them out all on his own, but there was one occasion where he had me worried and fretting over him.
yeah he's done that before too. That's why I waited so long before going to the vet. thanks for the suggestion however he is still sneezing today.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Do all the meds as prescribed and let us know!