• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Sick parakeet

Sqadir

Moving in
Hello
I am new here and need urgent help for my 3 yr old parakeet, Debbie. One week ago she had shaking and partly open wings and not eating for 24 hours. Next day she was laying on a wooden coconut bridge and became very passive, which is not herself at all. She was laying on bottom of cage and not moving just sleeping. So I googled and put olive oil on her tummy, under her wings and her bottom. I put her in her nesting box so she could rest and they other parakeets wouldn’t bother her. A few hours later she ate a little chirped finally and was on her perch. Now two days later she is not eating much, sleeps a lot and I see she has feathers from around her beak missing. Like on both sides and under her beak. This is new. She is a mommy to 10 babies. I have a total of 18 parakeets. I have no idea what is going on with her. Please advise asap. Thanks.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm afraid I don't know. What was the olive oil for? Do you have access to a vet?

Sqadir

Moving in
I do not have access to a vet. I originally thought she was trying to lay an egg and was egg bound. So I read googled it and use the olive oil to just help her. I didn’t massage her or anything just gently put some on her.

Sqadir

Moving in
Has anyone seen feathers from around a parakeet beak come off and so you can see the skin?? Is this mites?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Can you take a picture or two of what you are seeing please. Also separate the males from females. If they all babies from the same female, she needs a break from breeding. By separating the boys from girls that may stop the egg laying.

Last edited:

Sqadir

Moving in
Update: I think she was originally constipated because she was much better after the olive oil. Now, she’s eating and drinking water, and playing a bit too. I think it’s the olive oil that’s sticking and causing her feathers to be plucked out. Would olive oil do that?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
No oily substance should ever be put on birds. It can cause them chill or overheat. And using it should be directed by a avian vet only.
Z