• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Sick parakeet, can't see vet until tomorrow

Disckerm

Moving in
Real Name
Rachel
Hi all,

My Disco has a history of recurring respiratory infections but he's been doing pretty well lately, and I obsessively take notes of any symptoms he has so I can get him seen ASAP. The vet thought that he may be hypothyroid - explaining his heavy weight and recurring infections.

Today is the last day of my weekend, tomorrow I go back to work but the vet doesn't have an opening until tomorrow afternoon, even as an emergency.

Suddenly today he is breathing very hard, no tail bobbing like he usually does when sick, just really fast breathing. Has not eaten today yet (he's been up for a few hours and normally the boys chow down first thing). Drank a few sips of water and keeps clearing his crop. Earlier he was holding his wings out a bit from his body as if he was warm so I adjusted the heat down a bit. This is really strange because when he has been sick in the past, he has wet sneezes and tail bobbing, but he is hardly sneezing right now.

So far all he has done today is preen, chatter, and try to sleep (but it's obvious he is uncomfortable and not getting much sleep). This is unusual for him, he usually has a lot of energy and likes to bully his brother. I guess it's a good sign that he's still talking and on the highest perch in the cage...

Having gone through this so often, I thought I would try to wrangle him and give him some fresh avian antibiotics I have on hand from previous mishaps, but he is so squirrely that I can't hold him good enough to give him a dose. (His main vet says he is a pistol). And obviously this makes him breathe even harder and tire himself out.

Any recommendations for what I can do until I can get him in? At the moment I have him and his brother separated but in sight, I have his cage mostly covered and he has fresh food and water available. Running the humidifier as well.

Thanks in advance :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
How is your bird today Rachel?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I suggest you find an emergency clinic or call the vet back and let them know this is an emergency.

Disckerm

Moving in
Real Name
Rachel
He was seen and the vet believes he has a liver issue going on, since we’ve been trying to get his weight down for a little while now.
She prescribed him lactulose and hawthorn berry extract to help the liver.
She didn’t mention anything like this but I know fatty liver disease in parakeets can be a death sentence. :(

I’m kicking myself because long ago I had switched them from their all seed diet to Zupreem pellets, which I know still isn’t the best, and then I felt guilty and reintroduced seeds back in and they switched completely over to the seeds. This weekend I will be working really hard at getting back to that point and making fresh veggies every day, which they have always refused.

sigh.

Pockets

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
He was seen and the vet believes he has a liver issue going on, since we’ve been trying to get his weight down for a little while now.
She prescribed him lactulose and hawthorn berry extract to help the liver.
She didn’t mention anything like this but I know fatty liver disease in parakeets can be a death sentence. :(

I’m kicking myself because long ago I had switched them from their all seed diet to Zupreem pellets, which I know still isn’t the best, and then I felt guilty and reintroduced seeds back in and they switched completely over to the seeds. This weekend I will be working really hard at getting back to that point and making fresh veggies every day, which they have always refused.

sigh.
Thank you for the update. You know what steps you have to take for your little friend - and thanks for sharing. Freezing batches of chop can take some of the 'chore' out of it, and you're making the right move by switching from seeds-only. No sense in looking back to beat yourself up - just remember what happened and move forward!

Good luck and keep us posted.