• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Sick Parakeet/Budgie? Losing A lot of feathers fast!

Sonic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ege
Recently one of my budgies have started acting diffrent they start losing feathers a lot and I thought oh he’s just molting but I quickly realized maybe he wasn’t because his poop had changed colors so I tried looking for possible sicknesses and couldn’t find anything that looked like what my budgie is going through, and just recently I saw him lose all of his tail feathers and noticed a decreased amount of wing and body feathers, and I don’t know what to do right now to help him I’ve given vitamins and that didn’t work but seemed to help a little changing the color of his poop slightly to a more normal color for him and help is much appreciated

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Do you have pictures of/can you get pictures of

1. The poop
2. The bird

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Has your budgie been eating different things? They don't look particularly alarming to me. How long has it been going on like this? A close up of the droppings may help other people better understand. Could the feather loss be that your budgie is bullied by the other birds you've got?

Reactions: Ali

Sonic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ege
Has your budgie been eating different things? They don't look particularly alarming to me. How long has it been going on like this? A close up of the droppings may help other people better understand. Could the feather loss be that your budgie is bullied by the other birds you've got?
Same foods a couple days and the bird could be bullied but not likely because the only other bird in it’s cage is in its nest sitting on their baby’s and that’s it

Attachments

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
What's he eating apart from seed. Is he feeding the hen? Can clearly see he's lost primary flights and tail feathers. I think it's time to phone the vet. If it's something infectious the hen and chicks will need treating for sure. Make the vet aware of this.

Last edited:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Also if you're putting vitamins in his water STOP. There's no urine with this poops so he's not drinking. Give him plain water. If he's not drinking the hen and chicks are probably dehydrated too.

Sonic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ege
Also if you're putting vitamins in his water STOP. There's no urine with this poops so he's not drinking. Give him plain water. If he's not drinking the hen and chicks are probably dehydrated too.
He didn’t feed the baby’s also we give him both vitamin water and plain water should I take the vitamin water out?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
He didn't feed the babies, but he did feed the hen and she fed the babies. Just get rid of the vitamins and offer plain water. Vitamins should really only be given on the advice of a vet.
What else is he eating?

Sonic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ege
He didn't feed the babies, but he did feed the hen and she fed the babies. Just get rid of the vitamins and offer plain water. Vitamins should really only be given on the advice of a vet.
Alright I’ll give it a try and also he didn’t seem to really feed the hen at all on very rare occasions from what it looks like, and one more thing he’s also been drinking a lot of the vitamin water

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Alright I’ll give it a try and also he didn’t seem to really feed the hen at all on very rare occasions from what it looks like, and one more thing he’s also been drinking a lot of the vitamin water
What's he eating?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I think there may be some toxicity going on here. If he's drinking plenty but his poops are dry then something may be going on with the kidneys. Also his faeces are too pale.
GET HIM TO A VET.
I'm going to ask the staff to move this to 911.
@Ali thanks for the tag m8 ;)

Sonic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ege
I think there may be some toxicity going on here. If he's drinking plenty but his poops are dry then something may be going on with the kidneys. Also his faeces are too pale.
GET HIM TO A VET.
I’m going to try to get him to a vet either today or tomorrow

Sonic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ege
GET HIM TO A VET.
I think he’s started to breathe a little heavy and fast, is it possible he’s scared?

Sonic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ege
I think he’s started to breathe a little heavy and fast, is it possible he’s scared?
I’m going to try to get him to a vet either today or tomorrow
So yesterday I decided to get him some medicine from the bird store they said it would help him, it’s probiotics and it’s live microbial food supplements

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He really needs to see a vet and get a proper diagnosis and treatment. Losing feathers, strange droppings and heavy, fast breathing are signs that he is sick. Food supplements and probiotics won't help him if he's sick.

Sonic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ege
He really needs to see a vet and get a proper diagnosis and treatment. Losing feathers, strange droppings and heavy, fast breathing are signs that he is sick. Food supplements and probiotics won't help him if he's sick.
The breatheing fast was just him being scared because he does get scared of me from time to time