• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jaq

Moving in
Hello,
I've had my female Cockatiel for about 6 months now. I bought a new one about a week ago. I bought a male Cockatiel who was younger than her. The male is lazy and he just sleeps most of the time. I've noticed he has diarrhea and thought it was normal because he was scared etc.(I thought that because when I bought the previous one the I saw the same thing but after a while it went away) and his voice is .... deep? I odn't know how to say it but its like different from other cockatiels I've heard. It's been 2 days and now I've noticed diarrhea and laziness around my female Cockatiel as well.
I took the male to the vet thinking he was the problem and told him everything. He gave me some kind of medicine to put in the water for the bird and to check in 4-5 days later. Its been a day... I've googled some things and I've found out about Newcastle disease and this made me a bit afraid are these signs for Newcastle? or is it just normal for birds to be lazy when its cold? Honestly I am worried.
Oh and I'd like to note out that my female cockatiel tends to eat her own feces ever since I bought her. The vets told me it was a behavioral problem or a Vitamin need. So I thought she might've mistakenly ate the other tiels feces and it made her sick as well?
Any help would be appreciated on this topic.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Did the vet do any tests? A gram stain? What medicine did he give you?

Also, eating dropping is often a sign of a vitamin deficiency. What are their diets like? You can add brewer's yeast to her food to help with the vitamin issue. Eating Droppings

Jaq

Moving in
Not really the vet just looked at the birds bottom and after I told him whats wrong he .. I don't really know the name of the medicine he just told me to mix it with 500mL of water and give it to the birds.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Are there any other vets where you are?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope they will be okay, and I’m glad your going to another vet!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Let us know how things go.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope your birds will be OK. Sounds like the first vet just did a visual exam. Diagnostic testing such as blood work and cultures need to be done. Doesn't sound as if you quarantined the male from the female. Always a good idea to quarantine a new bird from other birds for about 30-45 days for the safety of all the birds.

Jaq

Moving in
I took them to the vet and he said there was not anything serious. I made sure to ask him the same thing 3 times so I can be EXTRA SURE that they're OK. He gave me some nutritious and an antibiotic.
I thank everyone for your advice and worries.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Since he gave you antibiotics I assume he thought there is a bacterial infection of some kind. Did he do any cultures or a gram stain?

Jaq

Moving in
Not exactly sure, he took the bird into a room and told me afterwards.