• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Sick Macaw (JaJaBinks) update

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She was just to the vet after 12 weeks of low protein diet for Kidney Disease. Vet had me giving her flax seed oil/corn oil. I was also giving her Milk Thistle/Dandelion Root. I gave her the Lily of the Dessert Aloe Detox for about 4 or 5 weeks in her water. Her uric acids are back in range, but still at the top of range tho. We had to stop the flax seed oil/corn oil as it caused her to vomit a lot & lose more weight. In place of the flax seed oil/corn oil the vet suggested 2-3 Macaw Nutriberries daily. I had gotten her the Roudybush Renal pellets, but she refused to eat them. I'm going to try turning them into a slurry & syringe feeding them to her, so she gets more nutrients. She's a picky eater & won't touch most veggies no matter the form they are. She will eat potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn & peas. So the vet suggested trying to syring feed the pellets. This should be fun, LOL.

I'm planning on turning the pellets to dust with my Vitamix. I was thinking of adding unsweetened apple juice to the pellet dust. Any suggestions on juices that may be OK? If she takes to this I may be able to sneak in some greens & other things, as the Vitamix will pulverize everything to liquid.

I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks,
Toy

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm thinking formula may be a little to high protein. As soon as the feeding syringes get here I'll try the pellet slurry & see how it goes.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Glad she is showing some improvement. Good luck with the slurry. I like using Bolthouse Organic Carrot juice. Naturally sweet!