• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Sick Lovebird -possible liver disease

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compassion

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Angela
I had Zeus dna tested and it came back male,he also acts just like my other lovies who are also male and I've had a hen before and this doesn't look like a hen who is in laying mode. I had a friend of mine recommend Dr Scott Ford so I spoke with him a little tonight and emailed him some pics and explained more about what is going on with Zeus.

I am hoping I will be able to get Zeus in for blood work tomorrow and hopefully when the results come back the vet here can consult with Dr Ford and we can get a treatment plan going that will actually work.

Zeus weighed 53 grams this morning and he ate like a piggy today.Zeus still spends a good portion of the day snoozing and has not been exercising and to be honest I am afraid to have him exercise to much because I seem too recall Kimkimwilliamsons cockatiel died from over exertion brought on by an enlarged liver.

I need to read up on Ascites because I am completely unfamiliar with it,I sure hope it's something that can be treated. I wanted to look it up earlier,but lack of sleep has made me feel crosseyed lately so it's hard to focus! Thank you for pointing that out to me Srtiels,you always amaze me with how knowledgeable you are with everything. :hug8:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Hope it is something that can easily be treated. Will keep Zeus in my thoughts and prayers. :hug8::hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Keeping you in my thoughts, and sending healing energy to Zeus.:hug8:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Hopefully Dr. Ford will have some answers.

OK...monitor his weight. With fluid accumulation (ascites) in the body several things are going on. He will gain weight, BUT he will be losing muscle mass and the keelbone will be more prominant. As fluif builds up there can be labored breathing because it putsd pressure on the abdominal air sacs, and pressure against the organs and heart. He will also get dehydrated, because fluid is going into the abdomen and less is in the body tissues and blood stream. When fluid is low in the bloodstream the tongue can get a bluish cast, because there is not enough oxygen in the blood. So he will also need to be hydrated...so giving an electrolyte solution for water will help.

A vet will have to draw fluid from his body over a period of several days/weeks, and probably put him on a duiretic. The dandelion extract will act as a mild diurectic in the meantime until you can see the vet.

((((HUGS))))

Compassion

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Angela
Is there any way to remove the fluid without having to use a needle? The vet here isn't an avian vet and I seriously do not trust her with injecting Zeus with a needle. As a matter of fact I know she killed another lovie by injecting it ....

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
It would have to be an experienced vet to remove the fluid from the abdomen. If they don't insert the needle right and nick any tissues or organs this can lead to a mass infection. Even an experienced vet that knows what they are doing will put the bird on a course of antibiotics when they do somethinh invasive like drawing out fluids.

The other alternative is a vet prescribing duiretics such as Lasix.

Compassion

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Angela
Sound like Lasix might be the way to go then because I seriously do not trust these vets to be poking Zeus with needles. I feel like if I let them do that I am signing his death sentence.

I have an appointment for blood work this afternoon,hopefully they can just short clip a nail and get enough blood that way. I am still waiting the results of the C&S,who knows how long blood work results will take to get back. :shake:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Kiwi had her fluid removed weekly/biweekly....made me sooo nervous every time, but my vet was amazing. I would not trust a non avian vet though.

I hope there are other options for you. :hug8:

Compassion

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Angela
Zeus and I will be going to California Friday afternoon and we have an appointment Monday with Dr Lavac who was recommended by Birdlover. I am actually up in Anchorage at the moment getting my monthly cancer treatment,but my boyfriend is home taking care of Zeus. I spoke with him earlier and he was surprised what a full time job it is to care for Zeus,he had no idea how much work one little bird can be.

Adam weighed Zeus earlier and he was at 49 grams so he has lost weight =( I am hoping that he perks back up and starts chowing down more and that his weight will stabilize and we can make the trip down south without any problems. It's about an 8 and a half hour flight down to Cali so it will be a long trip for us both.

I hope it will be possible to get water hot enough on board to fix Zeus's formula if he needs it. I am also wondering if I can safely use those disposable hand warmers to keep his kennel warm while we are on the flight? My Mom was kind enough to get us a first class flight down so hopefully it will be warmer up there than it is in coach. I crammed a cage in one of my suitcases so he'll have a familiar looking place to call home for the week we will be down there. If anyone thinks of anything else I might want to bring or questions to ask the vet let me know please.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
That is so sweet of your mom.
Well, planes are drafty, so nice and warm, and they do heat up water for baby bottles and such. If you keep it nice and dark and warm, he likely won't even know.
I have to say, this is the MOST I have seen someone go to save/help their bird, in ALL the years I have been on the bird message boards.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Could you maybe take a hot water bottle along? And get fresh hot water on board?

Compassion

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Angela
That is so sweet of your mom.
Well, planes are drafty, so nice and warm, and they do heat up water for baby bottles and such. If you keep it nice and dark and warm, he likely won't even know.
I have to say, this is the MOST I have seen someone go to save/help their bird, in ALL the years I have been on the bird message boards.
The hot water bottle is a great idea! I can't sit back and watch my baby suffer,it's my choice to keep birds in a city that has no avian vet so it's my responsibility to provide the care he deserves. I love my little stinkers so much and if something happened I would be heartbroken and that would be something I'd find hard to live with.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Wishing you the best, and safe travels.:hug8:

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Unfortunately, I know exactly how you feel Angela with dealing with incompetent vets... I have a couple of avian vets here in NJ that I would like to :shake: and :whip: myself.. But I am refocusing my negative energy into positive energy for our babies in need... I am sending over healing vibes and I am praying for you and little Zeus.. Its awful watching our little ones suffer so.. Please use the light on my avator to help guide you thru and to know you are not alone.. :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

crismas

Moving in
Real Name
Cristina
Hi Angela,

I was just reading about poor little Zeus's condition and my heart goes out to you both. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned ways to keep him hydrated, but when my bird was really sick her avian vet recommended watery fruits (kiwi, mango, papaya, pomegranate).

Safe travels and best of luck. Will keep you and Zeus in my prayers.
Cristina

Compassion

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Angela
Ugh,I hope we make our flight tomorrow! Right now I am stuck in Ketchikan Alaska because my flight back home to Juneau from Anchorage was re-routed due to weather conditions. I will be lucky if I make it home tonight and my flight tomorrow leaves at 1 pm. If we miss that flight there probably won't be any others available because of the holiday weekend. Wish us luck please! I spoke with my BF earlier and Zeus lost more weight since yesterday so we need to make this trip!

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
LOTS of prayers coming!!! :hug8:

Shadera

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Shadera
Much luck and I'm sending good vibes! This is an awesome thing you're doing for little Zeus.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I wonder if you can get him in sooner than the appointment?

Status
Not open for further replies.