• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sick IRN

bizzymum

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elaine
My new IRN was found on the bottom of the cage. The this morning. I checked on him right before bed and he was looking fine. I have only had him since Halloween and his poops were a bit watery but I decreased the pellets and added more seed and dried fruit.
We dont have any avian vets in my area just in case you suggest we take him to a vet.
We are tried to keep him alive by hand feeding him and keeping him warm.
He passed away.
I only had him for 3 weeks! My other IRN I got from this shop is thriving and doing so well!!
I'm gutted and also VERY angry!!

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Call all the vets in your area and ask if they see birds. Then, request an appointment at the vet. Even if there is no avian vet one or two will have experience with birds. Sometimes its an odd one out, but you never can tell. Good luck.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Phocyn, it sounds like their baby bird may have already passed away. :(

bizzymum, I'm very sorry to hear about this. I'd monitor your other bird from this shop very carefully & closely. :hug5:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m very sorry for your loss Elaine.

As said above, monitor your other birds closely in case the newer bird had some sort of illness.

I would also give the shop a call in the morning and talk with them to let them know.

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Phocyn, it sounds like their baby bird may have already passed away. :(

bizzymum, I'm very sorry to hear about this. I'd monitor your other bird from this shop very carefully & closely. :hug5:
They have another bird. I'm not unsympathetic, I'd feel this loss hard myself.

bizzymum

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elaine
I´m very sorry for your loss Elaine.

As said above, monitor your other birds closely in case the newer bird had some sort of illness.

I would also give the shop a call in the morning and talk with them to let them know.
I notified the shop owner and she was sympathetic but said that it could be a number of reasons. I told her that I thought it could be stress-related, but 23 days was unacceptable for even a stressed bird because this is not my first bird. She offered another IRN and I said I would accept another bird that is not so sensitive. We buried mango and disinfected the cage and threw away anything that could not be cleaned. We went back to the shop and REALLY looked at the shop and care. She does not quarantine new arrivals and just bungs them in with the other birds. We accepted a cockatiel and he is in quarantine. She got nasty when we said that we give a mixture of seeds and fine pellets and fruit and veg and said the IRN and cockatiels are seed birds and that pellets are processed and if we ate processed foods. I didn't argue with her and left. We will not be back. Unfortunately in Scotland, there is not a lot of choices to get birds, but I will just have the 2 until I get my B&G from the US. But this was a bad experience. I have had the cockatiel for a few days and he is MUCH better than the last IRN. The first IRN I got from her is still doing okay and definitely monitoring for any changes.
Thank you for the advice.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.