• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sick green check conure

Levyyy

Moving in
Real Name
Mireya
Hey guys! I’ve never posted here and I’m not sure what to expect but I need some advice. I took my gcc on Sunday to the vet because she looked terrible. She was closing one eye and has been puffed up. She also wasn’t as loud and was sleeping a lot. She got a shot on Sunday of antibiotic and he told me to keep her warm. She still looks the same if not worse and I took her Wednesday and they found nothing wrong with her. But she’s still acting the same. The vet gave her another shot and now giving her .05cc of baytril orally. I’m not sure what to think she eats and poops normal too. Just her behavior is not normal. Also today she started to gag ( not the mating one) and nothing would come out. She did it twice. Guys any advice or help I’m not sure what to do at all. I’ve already spent over 300$ and she isn’t improving and it’s so expensive to keep taking her but I don’t want anything to happen to her.

Attachments

Shilpa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shilpa
:bump4:
Poor girl :( I really hope she gets better. As for the cost, could you get insurance or use care credit? Of course, the insurance won't be effective now since it would count as a "pre-existing condition" but you could save a lot for future vet visits. Keep her warm and quiet for now. I can't really help you since I know nothing about GCCs.
:sadhug2:

Levyyy

Moving in
Real Name
Mireya
:bump4:
Poor girl :( I really hope she gets better. As for the cost, could you get insurance or use care credit? Of course, the insurance won't be effective now since it would count as a "pre-existing condition" but you could save a lot for future vet visits. Keep her warm and quiet for now. I can't really help you since I know nothing about GCCs.
:sadhug2:
I’ll apply for care credit! id do anything for my birdie. I’m just so heartbroken and I feel unheard because my vet keeps telling me she’s fine but I know my bird more than anyone and she’s acting weird. Thanks for the advice :) hoping for the best

Marcy33

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marcy
I don’t have an answer but I will be praying for your green cheek and I hope she gets better Is she eating normal?

Shilpa

Real Name
Shilpa
I don't know if this is good advice but do you have other avian vets in your area or even farther away? Because when my budgie Chicky was sick with AGY (literally this weekend), I was so upset because my vet couldn't give me an appointment until next month. I knew she wouldn't last that long so I had to drive a few hours to a vet that could get me an appointment. If that's not an option, maybe just continue with the meds she's taking now. She might take time to get better :)

Levyyy

Moving in
Real Name
Mireya
I don’t have an answer but I will be praying for your green cheek and I hope she gets better Is she eating normal?
Thank you it means a lot!! And yes that’s the weirdest part, she’s eating normal and drinking I’ve been weighing her. She’s 74g. But today she started gagging but nothing came out and she’s still poofy and squinting a lot :(

Levyyy

Moving in
Real Name
Mireya
I don't know if this is good advice but do you have other avian vets in your area or even farther away? Because when my budgie Chicky was sick with AGY (literally this weekend), I was so upset because my vet couldn't give me an appointment until next month. I knew she wouldn't last that long so I had to drive a few hours to a vet that could get me an appointment. If that's not an option, maybe just continue with the meds she's taking now. She might take time to get better :)
I do have some I live in Los Angeles but I usually take her to a Long Beach exotic vet and they were able to fix her respiratory issues last year. But I will continue her meds for now. What are the symptoms for your buddies AGY thing? I’m curious. I hope they’re doing better now!

Shilpa

Real Name
Shilpa
I do have some I live in Los Angeles but I usually take her to a Long Beach exotic vet and they were able to fix her respiratory issues last year. But I will continue her meds for now. What are the symptoms for your buddies AGY thing? I’m curious. I hope they’re doing better now!
That's good. Maybe she will improve on her meds :) Chicky has AGY and she spent the whole weekend and part of Monday vomiting (like every 2-3 minutes, even at night) and pooping seeds. Her crop was swollen and she was just sleepy, puffy, squinty and unresponsive. She's taking Amp B right now. I have to give her the morning dose in a few minutes.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
But today she started gagging but nothing came out
Could she just have been clearing her crop? Sometime that can look like gagging. Here is what that looks like at least for a Tiel.

Last edited: