• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sick Cockatiel?

Kaitib

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kait
Hi! First I just want to say that I'm new here so sorry if I'm doing something wrong, I'm just trying to get another opinion and quickly.

I've had my baby Aloise for about three and a half years now, and I love her to death. As much as I love her, this my senior year of HS and I've been insanely busy with work and classes, so I decided to get her a friend. Last month I bought another cockatiel from a girl who said she was too busy to take care of her anymore. She looked healthy. She was friendly, curious, ate well, and was very vocal etc. However, Thursday morning I found her dead on the floor of her cage. The only idea I have as to what was wrong was that she had broken a blood feather and possibly got an infection as a result. Now I'm terrified that she was sick and my other baby might have caught whatever it was. They didn't share a cage of course, but had spent time outside the cages on the floor, and I kept them in the same room.

Aloise is eating and drinking normally and is her usual playful self. Her droppings look the same as always. What's driving me to post this is that occasionally she seems puffed up and is preening a lot. I do live up north and she is molting, so that doesn't help anything. To be honest, if I hadn't just had the new bird die I probably wouldn't be concerned at all. But I would appreciate a second opinion.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about the loss of the 'tiel. Did you get a necropsy on her/him? Would probably be a good idea to bring Aloise in for a vet check due to the other 'tiel passing and you not knowing what happened to him/her.
I would recommend that if you decide to get another bird quarantine that bird from Aloise for at least 30-45 days and bring it in to the vet for a new bird check up.

Kaitib

Real Name
Kait
I didn't. I couldn't get to the vet until tomorrow and didn't want to hold onto her for that long.
Any idea how much medication would cost if she is sick? The nearest avian vet is about two hours away so already looking at upwards of sixty dollars for gas

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have no idea how much medications cost. Depends on medication and depends on vet.
Maybe someone here can suggest a closer vet to where you live if you post your approximate location or you can search here:
Association of Avian Veterinarians
BTW, welcome to AA.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Meds are usually less expensive than the exam cost or lab work. I've paid anywhere from $15-40. Cultures are usually the most expensive thing I have done for a potentially sick bird, but I generally think they're worth it since they take the guesswork out of treatment. Particularly if you're that far away, I'd want to get as firm an answer as possible.

Kaitib

Real Name
Kait
Update...
On the way to the vet! A little farther away than planned but she was the only one not booked up. Thank you for the insight! :)