• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sick cockatiel or just nervous in new home?

Spirit Warrior

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hey guys I have a new cockatiel and I've only had her for about 4 days but she seems puffed up and sleepy a lot of the time. She is only 13 weeks so 3 months should I be concerned or not? She does have a health check-up at the vets for tomorrow but I'm still worrying for now. She is grinding her beak and she does nibble at her toys occasionally and I've seen her eat and drink. She is still very nervous of me though could this also be the cause? Thanks guys

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How do her droppings look? Is she making any static sounding noises?

Spirit Warrior

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
How do her droppings look? Is she making any static sounding noises?
Light green droppings (always been that colour) seem to be normal consistency. Shes been making a few little chirps as well.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Light green droppings (always been that colour) seem to be normal consistency. Shes been making a few little chirps as well.
My guess is she's just a bit stressed from being in her new home but it's good that you are getting a vet check to be sure. I always worry about young tiels regressing and not eating but if she's eating and pooping, that's good.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Are her eyes clear? And her breathing okay?

Spirit Warrior

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
She also doesnt move around the cage alot, mainly at the top on top of her food and water bowls or at the bottom to eat millet or sit there for abit. Sleeps at the top and on one leg with head tucked under wing

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She also doesnt move around the cage alot, mainly at the top on top of her food and water bowls or at the bottom to eat millet or sit there for abit. Sleeps at the top and on one leg with head tucked under wing
Young tiels tend to be clumsy She may not feel secure enough to move around a lot yet. You can try covering her cage on 3 sides, leaving the front open to see if that makes her feel more secure. That way she won't have to be on alert for "danger' on all four sides. Also, do you play any music for her or leave the TV on? If she came from a pet store (or a breeder) she might be used to noise and activity.

Spirit Warrior

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Young tiels tend to be clumsy She may not feel secure enough to move around a lot yet. You can try covering her cage on 3 sides, leaving the front open to see if that makes her feel more secure. That way she won't have to be on alert for "danger' on all four sides. Also, do you play any music for her or leave the TV on? If she came from a pet store (or a breeder) she might be used to noise and activity.
She is near my other cockatiel so she hears him and i usually have audiobooks or youtube on apart from when im at work

Spirit Warrior

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
She now has perked up, eating loads, just had a darker green dropping (Same as Storms) playing and jumping around the cage like a loony. Its as if suddenly she wasnt nervous, then had a quick power nap then back to eating. Less puffed up as well. Still going vets just to make sure but seems she is okay. Standing on one leg with head under wing as well while sleeping

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The update is in a separate thread:

Spirit Warrior

Walking the driveway