• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Sick Cockatiel EAGLE (sad update post #66)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My first thought was yeast issue..Nystatin is best for that.. Keep him warm and try to hydrate him with the Emeraid..he may hate you..Baytril s good as is Amozacillin Ive got one on it right now..she's not happy..but she'll get over it.. don't ever hesitate to call your vet..

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
My first thought was yeast issue..Nystatin is best for that.. Keep him warm and try to hydrate him with the Emeraid..he may hate you..Baytril s good as is Amozacillin Ive got one on it right now..she's not happy..but she'll get over it.. don't ever hesitate to call your vet..
Just to be clear amoxocillin and azithromycine are not the same drug. I have been promoting azithromycine.

But azithromycine and baytril are both broad spectrum antibiotics.

So how is Eagle? Hopefully responding to these new antibiotics?

Im hoping he will.keep fighting. And start eating more.

You are doing everything you can.

Xctguy

Meeting neighbors
He is still at that stage where he is not well, possibly stable? Its alot of work, but I'm giving him his medication and staying on top of his care, and making sure he is warm and feed, and hydrated, and tend to him every hour. Its only 24 hrs. since the new antibiotic, so I'm hoping still for a good outcome. Keeping an eye on his weight since he is at 63 grams, and was always about 75. If he loses more in the next day or so--I will be force feed him. Thanks for the thoughts and advice.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I've been so worried about Eagle and afraid to ask ...
I hopeful you might have a postive update?
I have not forgotten two ...you are on my mind alot

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am just seeing this. I hope Eagle is ok.

Xctguy

Meeting neighbors
HI--to all who wrote before, and especially to those with good tips regard my 1 year old cockatiel EAGLE. He is still in the same condition. Some good days some bad days. He is still being forced fed by me twice a day with some home made mix of nuts and grains and pro-biotics that he likes. He wont drink or move much, its been more then 2 months since he has this illness and the vets can't help. He is weak and basically sleeps 95% of the time, all fluffed up, he won't eat or drink on his own and takes his regular dumps. I used 2 different anti biotics for about 40 days total and it made no difference. I don't know what else to do at this point......any suggestions??

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you get some handfeeding formula and feed that instead of what you are using? The handfeeding formula would probably meet more of his nutritional needs.
If he is having respiratory issues another possibility could be aspergillosis or another fungal infection and for that he would need an antifungal. Contact the vet
and discuss that with him. I am sorry that Eagle is ill. Sending positive thoughts for him.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
What I've been doing to not force feed is trying to add the powder mix to the seeds, as he will eat the tiny seeds only and this way will get that formula inside him. When I give him water its a tiny amount, maybe 4 ml, thru the syringe. Eagle is not the type of cockatiel that will eat anything wet, or any veggies. I watch him, every 15 min. Its a hard thing to watch them go thru this. I've already lost one other pet last week, and my mom in the past 90 days. Thanks again for your input Pixiebeak!!
I am so sorry for your loss. I hope for the best for you and your bird. I used to have to force feed my budgie for a few days when he was sick and hated it. I would just give a small drop of food at a time, wait until the bird would move around and chew/swallow the food before continuing. I would try to be as calm as possible and soothe him with soft words. I wouldn’t do it for too long, as he would get stressed easily. Sorry I don’t have any solutions for you, however. I too would look into something for yeast as well.

Xctguy

Meeting neighbors
Can you get some handfeeding formula and feed that instead of what you are using? The handfeeding formula would probably meet more of his nutritional needs.
If he is having respiratory issues another possibility could be aspergillosis or another fungal infection and for that he would need an antifungal. Contact the vet
and discuss that with him. I am sorry that Eagle is ill. Sending positive thoughts for him.
Yes--after tons of research, that seems to be what he has, what web sites can I get this med? I've been looking and it seems there are 2 med that might help, both are anti-fungal. Itraconazole---or Amphotericin B seem to help with this, but can't find it for birds online.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Yes--after tons of research, that seems to be what he has, what web sites can I get this med? I've been looking and it seems there are 2 med that might help, both are anti-fungal. Itraconazole---or Amphotericin B seem to help with this, but can't find it for birds online.
Many medications are not available over the counter or without a script as they can be dangerous if used incorrectly or at wrong doses. I would contact a vet to ask about getting the correct meds for your little one.

Xctguy

Meeting neighbors
Many medications are not available over the counter or without a script as they can be dangerous if used incorrectly or at wrong doses. I would contact a vet to ask about getting the correct meds for your little one.
Thanks--I will call the vet ASAP!!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your vet might want to do an asper titer to see if that is the issue although Eagle may be too fragile right now to do a blood draw. Did the vet do an oral swab and culture? That is not as invasive as a blood draw but
might still stress Eagle. Some bad fungi as well as bacteria can be detected that way but not aspergillum.
You definitely want to contact your vet about medications and the possibility that your bird has a fungal infection. Voriconazole is probably the least toxic of the antifungals and can be effective against asper.
However, want to reiterate, that your bird may not have aspergillosis or a fungal infection and best to discuss with the vet. Just throwing some possibilities your way.
In addition, if your bird has a bacterial infection the bacteria that is causing the issues may be resistant to the antibiotics that are being used. Hard to tell without culture and sensitivity.

Did you get avian handfeeding formula? Does Eagle have any favorite foods? Does he like pellets that you can soften by moistening with some water?

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Im sorry eagle is still fighting this. Huge hugs!

Xctguy

Meeting neighbors
I have him to 10 ml of Itraconazole, for 4 weeks, daily. This was prescribed by the vet, and Eagle seems to actually like it, it smells good to me, and its seem to be helping a tiny bit, so far. Its early, but he is better today then he has been the past 2 months. I've actually seen him trying to eat a bit of seed too. I've notice his beak has grown a bit too, the upper part. I'm about to clip a tiny part of that with a nail clipper.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I've been floowing this but don't have the medical advice some of the others do.
I am so happy Eagle is responding to his new medicine.
You've done great getting him to the vets and hand feeding his meds.
Sending positive thoughts for Eagle to get better. It's great he likes the new medicine, and I'm sure less stressful for you worrying about having to force feed him.
:hug8:

Xctguy

Meeting neighbors
I've been floowing this but don't have the medical advice some of the others do.
I am so happy Eagle is responding to his new medicine.
You've done great getting him to the vets and hand feeding his meds.
Sending positive thoughts for Eagle to get better. It's great he likes the new medicine, and I'm sure less stressful for you worrying about having to force feed him.
:hug8:

Xctguy

Meeting neighbors
Thanks ICEY!!! It reminds me of when my son was born, its constant attention and feeding and every few hours of meds, or food, but lucky for me, no diapers.....LOL

PS--I've had birds for over 30 yrs. But never ran into this, once they got sick, they died quickly.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m glad your bird seems to be feeling better, and so hope the improvement continues. I would not trim the beak yourself, but have the vet advise you on that.