• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Sick Cockatiel EAGLE (sad update post #66)

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I have him to 10 ml of Itraconazole, for 4 weeks, daily. This was prescribed by the vet, and Eagle seems to actually like it, it smells good to me, and its seem to be helping a tiny bit, so far. Its early, but he is better today then he has been the past 2 months. I've actually seen him trying to eat a bit of seed too. I've notice his beak has grown a bit too, the upper part. I'm about to clip a tiny part of that with a nail clipper.
I don't know the concentration of the itraconazole
It can be made to different strengths. But 10ml seems like a lot. I would double check with the veterinarian just incase it was written wrong.

I hope eagle keeps improving!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a feeling you mistyped this or maybe the medication is diluted in water so is it 10 ml or .1 ml or .01 ml? Is it 10 ml diluted in a specific amount of water? 10 ml orally via syringe seems like too much.
As per Pixiebeak I would check back with the vet. I think the usual dose is about .5 - 1 ml per kg of body weight.
It's good Eagle is getting better.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I have a feeling you mistyped this or maybe the medication is diluted in water so is it 10 ml or .1 ml or .01 ml? Is it 10 ml diluted in a specific amount of water? 10 ml orally via syringe seems like too much.
As per Pixiebeak I would check back with the vet. I think the usual dose is about .5 - 1 ml per kg of body weight.
It's good Eagle is getting better.
I so agree! 10 ml st stsndsrd strength is a toxic dose........from my memory...which is far from perfect....

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Xctguy How is Eagle doing? Did you check into the dosage?

Xctguy

Meeting neighbors
Yes--PIXIE---I typed that incorrectly--its ".1 ml". Its been one week and I can see a difference in his health and energy levels. It's still a long ways off from when he was at 100%, but I do see a little improvement, he does spend a lot of time sleeping still; but at least he tried to fly and chirped a little which he hasn't done that in over 2 months.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Yes--PIXIE---I typed that incorrectly--its ".1 ml". Its been one week and I can see a difference in his health and energy levels. It's still a long ways off from when he was at 100%, but I do see a little improvement, he does spend a lot of time sleeping still; but at least he tried to fly and chirped a little which he hasn't done that in over 2 months.
Oh thank goodness!!
Great news on improving! I hope he gets back to perfect health!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for updating us with the dosage info. 10 ml is the size of syringe I used when I was hand feeding my red-bellied parrot babies so I knew it had to be either a mistype or some kind of dilution.
Good news that Eagle is showing some improvement. Hope he will be back to his old self soon!

Xctguy

Meeting neighbors
EAGLE UPDATE: Its seems the Itraconazole anti fungal is working and doing its job, just 2 days after the first treatment I saw a difference. He likes the taste, it smells sweet. Its been 4 weeks and he is still on this anti fungal. He seems to be getting better all the time, but slowly. I know this is something he will have to fight from what I hear, maybe 2 months. I would say he is 50% better, still a little weak, but he is getting back to his old behavior. I do see him, while sleeping, breathing a little heavier though. He did start eating on his own after 70 days. Finally after 80 days I will not have to force feed him with a syringe. I weigh him daily to verify his eating habits. I think that is the most important thing I've done, since these birds can fool you and don't look sick, only by weighing him I was able to tell something was wrong. :dance4:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for the update. That is excellent news. Hope he continues to improve!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Yay Eagle!!

You have done such a great job getting him through this!! :cheer:

Regular weight checks are a great way to pick up issues early. Been a lifesaver here too.

Support feeding and weight checks are so very important when you've got a sick one!

Plus staying in contact with veterinarian and adjustments as needed to treatment.

I hope every single day is better for Eagle !:elefant::yes4:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Wonderful news. Thanks for the update.

Xctguy

Meeting neighbors
EAGLE UPATE APRIL 2023:

Its been 5 months since my boy has been sick. He has gotten a bit better and finally put on weight were he is at 90 grams. I would say he is about 60% better, still better then before, but its been a slow recovery where he isn't 100% yet. Its been 5 months with this. I still give him certain homemade foods and water with vitamins via a syringe, just to make sure he gets these vitamins in his belly, he loves my homemade food.

I do have some questions though for those more knowledgeable then me in this area. Ever since his ilness, I've noticed he is still very weak, and at a lost of equilibrium/ balance, and has not grown any new flight feathers, I keep them trim for safety reasons. His grip of my finger when I touch him daily is very weak, I need to support him, with 2 hands so he doesn't lose balance. I've noticed he doesn't have the strength to crack open sunflower seeds, the smaller millet seeds he can handle. I do have to trim a tiny part of his beak every 2 weeks since its growing at a fast rate. He is still puffy with his feathers where he seems cold, but I can tell he isn't cold and his tail isn't shaking from cold. I live in Florida, its hot here daily, and my house is never cold (mid 80s). He still spends 80% of the day sleeping, and eating. He does like to preen himself.

He was on Itraconazole, for 5 weeks and that helped big time. Any other opinions or information is appreciated Thanks to everyone interested!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's good that there has been improvement. Is he eating enough on his own? Do you check his weight?
You may want to look into giving him vetri-DMG. This helps to support bodily functions and the immune system.
Check with your vet. https://www.amazon.com/VetriScience-Laboratories-Liquid-Support-Servings/dp/B00008DFDO
Are there possible liver issues? You may want to check with the vet, too, about giving him milk thistle or possibly using
Senior Nutriberries which contain milk thistle.

Xctguy

Meeting neighbors
It's good that there has been improvement. Is he eating enough on his own? Do you check his weight?
You may want to look into giving him vetri-DMG. This helps to support bodily functions and the immune system.
Check with your vet. https://www.amazon.com/VetriScience-Laboratories-Liquid-Support-Servings/dp/B00008DFDO
Are there possible liver issues? You may want to check with the vet, too, about giving him milk thistle or possibly using
Senior Nutriberries which contain milk thistle.
HI--Thanks for the info, I'll look into that, and yes--I do weigh him daily and he is up from near 65 grams to 90 grams.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
That's a great weight gain back. What is his normal or expected weight?

Did you have a recheck exam after he finished his meds,? Sometimes you can have relapse or treatment needs to be longer .

I don't like that he is weak, can fall , and is fluffed and sleeping lots ..

Rapid beak growth can be related to liver issues , that's why @iamwhoiam suggested getting values checked. Possibly also diet related, and can be seen in PBFD.

It may not been time to molt yet. But delayed) skipped molts after a serious or on going health are common. When my Penny came to me with previous poor diet and fatty liver she skipped molts for 2 years. Then had a rapid all feather molt st once that needed me to nutritionaly support .

Over all you've really done remarkable job in saving him and getting this far.

He is a young bird correct?

I think you need to get him back to the veterinarian. See what they advise , maybe check for PBFD..( sorry I know that's scary) and check organ function.

You can look at fluffy down feathers , see if normal looking or absent . In PBFD those feathers can show changes first as they are molted out year round .

Hugs to you. You are great parent

Xctguy

Meeting neighbors
Thanks Mayor Pixie....Good to hear from you. My little Eagle is about one year old, with me, I'm assuming he is about 15 months old. He was always light as far as weight, about 70 80 grams, 60 to 65 when in December, so I'm happy about his current weight considering his condition, he is about 85 to 90 grams. He does molt, tiny little down fluffy feathers, but the actual flight feathers and bigger feathers have barely grown in the past 4 months. I'm going to add some that LIQUID LIFE SUPPORT and thistle milk drops, to see how he responds. Enclosed is a picture of him of of today. Thanks for your advise!!!

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Looking good!
Not seeing huge beak overgrowth?
It can take up to a year to molt big ones.
And thanks ;)

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
But... this weakness....

My birds don't hold in tight unless scared..but they also don't loose balance and fall..l

When does he fall? Does he let wings drop or hock sit? When you have him out firs he ture quick with eyes starting to close?

Xctguy

Meeting neighbors
When I see him walking around his cage and trying to get around his cage he uses his wings and beak to get around, and for balance to help himself support himself, its very obvious. After 1 minute or 2 of inactivity he does start to get sleepy and close his eyes. I do see him better today, as opposed to 3 months ago. He does chirp, but stopped singing 5 months ago as he got sick. But he is far from being 100%. Thanks PIXIE!!!