• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Sick cockatiel and poop problem

Maria9

Moving in
Real Name
Maria
Being honest to everyone out there I’ve Never done this before and first time posting a forum. I’m also mostly here for the concern of my cockatiel and I’m legit a minor and can’t afford a vet to check it out.
So I’m really concerned for my male cockatiel because my other female cockatiel died just last week (I also got both of them like 6 months ago) and now I’m paranoid about this bird I really hope I can get some closure on what’s been going on Rn..
So basically he has been pooping really weird range of colours are light brown to dark brown to orange, he has also been fluffed up I’m pretty sure it is a sign of illness but he preens himself and eats normally. His diet consists of frozen corn, peas and carrots also a mix of dried veggies and fruits. I’m thinking about getting him pellets but since I’m in Australia there’s not really any wide range of good foods in the pet store I don’t even think I can trust the pet stores here because they literally have me a bag of seeds and I was stupid enough to buy it. so if there’s anyone who can recommend which foods I can give I am all ears my cockatiel is also not picky and would eat whatever. I really believe that the reason this is all happened is because of malnutrition because they tended to eat all the seeds out of my hand. A week ago I was forced to put them in a garage so I also think they could’ve been poisoned with something and since I’ve had school to deal with I never really had the strength to go all the way in the garage because of the heat and I mostly have to walk a lot during the day. I haven’t really monitored them but before they had to be in the garage they were completely fine from November (when I got them) to December (when I had to put them in a garage) so I really hope I can get someone’s opinion on this. The first pic of the orange poop is next to the normal poop which is on the side. Last picture in my male cockatiels before and after photo (the after photo I’m not sure if my bird is more relaxed or something but we have bonded so I don’t know if he is like that because he’s relaxed or he’s stressed 19F7C001-E734-46E3-80C7-9008B32A37F8.jpeg 0D3E8BC1-DBAC-4232-BE8B-25BBB9DDDCA6.jpeg 31F5EDF2-48FA-4158-955D-213D143DB973.png D2CC1FD1-20CF-4F51-9D18-483941F97526.png D2CC1FD1-20CF-4F51-9D18-483941F97526.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hi, I have moved your thread for better coverage and also altered your age for your safety and to comply with the rules of AA.
Welcome to the forum :hiya:
I am sorry to hear of your loss:sorrow:

When you say that you have had to move the bird into the garage what kind of garage is it and what state are you living in? At the moment the garage we have attached to our house is a nice temp as it is brick and under the same roof line as the house but the outside garage that is not brick and is free standing is stuffy and horrid.

As for food, you can make purchases of vetafarm pellets which most pet stores do stock and most online places do sell it (it is made in Aus)...... there are other brands of pellets available too..... this is the start of a thread with a few named stores that are all in Australia Aussie members where do you shop for bird supplies?

This is another link you may find helpful Is your bird suffering from poopology - All about bird droppings

I know my bird has some really groovy poops depending on what he has eaten....... pays to keep check of the differences the poop has after different foods. I am actually not a poop expert nor am I familiar with cockatiel poops so hopefully some others may be along soon to give you some better help with especially the poop.

Do you have any reason as to why you say you think the birds were poisoned? What makes you say this?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Color of droppings can be effected by food. So the orange could be from carrots. I know opinions vary on diet but I do think tiels should have some seed in their diet. I am sorry about the loss of your female. Was she acting sick?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
So going by your birds cage newspaper you are in Victoria? At the moment the weather is not too bad but honestly a garage is not a suitable place for your bird...... can you bring it into your room maybe?

The poop color....... do you think maybe the carrot your bird has eaten is why it has the orange tinge to it? I do ;)

I would suggest a much bigger range of vegetables for your little cutie and maybe cut the corn right down as there is not as much in it for them as some other veggies like cooked sweet potato (always feed cooked sweet potato and not raw like most other veg) capsicum, beans, brocolli, chillies even. Lessen fruit intake as is it high in sugar and veg is much much better for them.
I do believe cockatiels and budgies should still have a decent seed mix to eat as they do need them unlike some of the larger birds. Check out Mizzely's site for some great bird food information https://www.lilmonstersbirdtoys.com/Health_bc_2.html (hopefully I added the right link lol)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m sorry for the loss of your cockatiel. What do you mean by it being too hot to check on the birds? What is the temperature of the garage? Could it be to hot for your birds in there? If you think the problems started when you moved them to the garage, I think you should move you make back. Make sure you change his water every day, maybe you Ben twice a day, and clean out the cage. Cockatiels should eat pellets, seeds, and fresh foods. Fresh foods should be removed after two hours at least. I would also leave out the corn.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'm sorry. It sounds like a lot of things are going on at the moment.

We are not vets, nor can we diagnose what is wrong with your bird. If you are unable to take your bird to see a vet to find out what's wrong (and I understand that right now is a bad time for that!), it might be better to find him a home with someone who can care for him and get him the medical attention he needs. It's nothing against you, merely for his best interest.

As mentioned, he should be eating seeds and pellets with fresh foods - food and water changed daily.

If the garage is too hot for you, it may be too hot for him.

Looks like there might be something going on with his sinuses? So maybe a sinus infection? I can't be sure though, as the images aren't clear and, again, we aren't vets. :(

Maria9

Moving in
Real Name
Maria
Hi, I have moved your thread for better coverage and also altered your age for your safety and to comply with the rules of AA.
Welcome to the forum :hiya:
I am sorry to hear of your loss:sorrow:

When you say that you have had to move the bird into the garage what kind of garage is it and what state are you living in? At the moment the garage we have attached to our house is a nice temp as it is brick and under the same roof line as the house but the outside garage that is not brick and is free standing is stuffy and horrid.

As for food, you can make purchases of vetafarm pellets which most pet stores do stock and most online places do sell it (it is made in Aus)...... there are other brands of pellets available too..... this is the start of a thread with a few named stores that are all in Australia Aussie members where do you shop for bird supplies?

This is another link you may find helpful Is your bird suffering from poopology - All about bird droppings

I know my bird has some really groovy poops depending on what he has eaten....... pays to keep check of the differences the poop has after different foods. I am actually not a poop expert nor am I familiar with cockatiel poops so hopefully some others may be along soon to give you some better help with especially the poop.

Do you have any reason as to why you say you think the birds were poisoned? What makes you say this?
thank you for the reply,
my garage is the same it is connected to my house but in also has a room that is really stuffy like no ventilation or any windows any access to any light other then the led lights inside I also think it was poisoned because my father would let the birds fly everywhere in there and I always see some chemicals and things for cars that could’ve possibly leaked onto the floor and had been eaten.

Maria9

Moving in
Real Name
Maria
I'm sorry. It sounds like a lot of things are going on at the moment.

We are not vets, nor can we diagnose what is wrong with your bird. If you are unable to take your bird to see a vet to find out what's wrong (and I understand that right now is a bad time for that!), it might be better to find him a home with someone who can care for him and get him the medical attention he needs. It's nothing against you, merely for his best interest.

As mentioned, he should be eating seeds and pellets with fresh foods - food and water changed daily.

If the garage is too hot for you, it may be too hot for him.

Looks like there might be something going on with his sinuses? So maybe a sinus infection? I can't be sure though, as the images aren't clear and, again, we aren't vets. :(
Thank you for the reply,
Yeah I have been thinking about giving him away for better care for a while. I haven’t done any research with his sinus but there’s always food near there after he eats and I try to get rid of it he’s been sneezing a couple of times which alarmed me but I couldn’t figure out what the normal amount of sneezes are and what Arnt normal.

Maria9

Moving in
Real Name
Maria
Color of droppings can be effected by food. So the orange could be from carrots. I know opinions vary on diet but I do think tiels should have some seed in their diet. I am sorry about the loss of your female. Was she acting sick?
Thank you for the reply,
She was acting very strange but I didn’t consider it as she was actually sick and about to die. She was making these human like screaming noises like she was about to loose her voice she also had a lot of seeds and I try cut down from it. And she always wanted attention. she actually stopped screaming after we took her out from the garage and then after putting them back in she would scream again.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Are the sneezes dry or wet?

Dry sneezes and only occasionally are considered "okay", but constant sneezing or constant wet sneezes are a concern.

Maria9

Moving in
Real Name
Maria
I’m sorry for the loss of your cockatiel. What do you mean by it being too hot to check on the birds? What is the temperature of the garage? Could it be to hot for your birds in there? If you think the problems started when you moved them to the garage, I think you should move you make back. Make sure you change his water every day, maybe you Ben twice a day, and clean out the cage. Cockatiels should eat pellets, seeds, and fresh foods. Fresh foods should be removed after two hours at least. I would also leave out the corn.
Thank you for the reply,
I had to walk quite a long distance back and forth after school in summer and it would be about 40-30 degrees outside and since the garage had no aircon inside or ventilation and no windows the temperature inside the garage would be even hotter. I do change the fresh foods everyday but not after two hours and I also change the water everyday. The cage is cleaned 2 times a week now ever since my female died before it was cleaned once’s a week. Ever since the female died my cockatiel has been inside the house in a laundry room.

Maria9

Moving in
Real Name
Maria
Are the sneezes dry or wet?

Dry sneezes and only occasionally are considered "okay", but constant sneezing or constant wet sneezes are a concern.
They are dry sneezes. Is it normal for them to itch their nose while sneezing?

Maria9

Moving in
Real Name
Maria
So going by your birds cage newspaper you are in Victoria? At the moment the weather is not too bad but honestly a garage is not a suitable place for your bird...... can you bring it into your room maybe?

The poop color....... do you think maybe the carrot your bird has eaten is why it has the orange tinge to it? I do ;)

I would suggest a much bigger range of vegetables for your little cutie and maybe cut the corn right down as there is not as much in it for them as some other veggies like cooked sweet potato (always feed cooked sweet potato and not raw like most other veg) capsicum, beans, brocolli, chillies even. Lessen fruit intake as is it high in sugar and veg is much much better for them.
I do believe cockatiels and budgies should still have a decent seed mix to eat as they do need them unlike some of the larger birds. Check out Mizzely's site for some great bird food information https://www.lilmonstersbirdtoys.com/Health_bc_2.html (hopefully I added the right link lol)
Yes I am in Victoria, I have to say u have a really good eye I never noticed what was on the newspaper :joyful:. In summer which was last month the weather was up to 30-40 degrees. After my female died my cockatielwas moved to its original spot which was the laundry room I can’t put it in my room because there’s carpet everywhere.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Yeah, that can be normal... sometimes while digging out their nose with their talons, it can cause them to sneeze.

If he's healthy enough for a bath, then that can help to add some moister and clear out the sinuses.

Maria9

Moving in
Real Name
Maria
Yeah, that can be normal... sometimes while digging out their nose with their talons, it can cause them to sneeze.

If he's healthy enough for a bath, then that can help to add some moister and clear out the sinuses.
The bath sounds like a good idea (I never really really had a look at his sinuses) but I’ve heard that sick cockatiels shouldn’t bath because they’re temperature could go off.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Offer a bath. If he’s too sick he just won’t bathe.

It sounds like the diet needs fixed right away and he needs to live in the house. Lay a plastic like the ones under a computer chair on your bedroom carpet, cover it with newspaper and put the cage on that. You can keep a better eye on him and he will be more of a friend.

Cockatiels are granivores. They do need some seed in their diet.
He probably also should go to the vet.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Offer a bath. If he’s too sick he just won’t bathe.
Please tell that to Beau!!! :p Even after *multiple* vet visits, I don't know what's wrong with him and it's clear he's not feeling well. For whatever reason though, he's decided to take quite a few baths lately! In his water dish that he doesn't even fit in! lol I am glad that he feels well enough to be bathing and more vocal at least! Wish I knew why...

Maria, you can always offer a bath or a spritz during the warmest part of the day and see if he's interested in taking a bath. The other option would be to take him into the bathroom and either take a hot steamy shower or just run a hot shower to produce steam. This might help loosen up any dust and crud in his sinuses but may or may not work as much as a bath.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Please tell that to Beau!!! :p Even after *multiple* vet visits, I don't know what's wrong with him and it's clear he's not feeling well. For whatever reason though, he's decided to take quite a few baths lately! In his water dish that he doesn't even fit in! lol I am glad that he feels well enough to be bathing and more vocal at least! Wish I knew why...
Oh well send him over here and we will have a little chat! They can be so silly about baths.