• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Sick budgie not eating.

Green_Ranger

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I have a 11 year old budgie who was originally sitting fluffed up on his perch. His poop was mildly more wet than usual, but fine otherwise. I took him to the vet on Tuesday, who did nothing more than feel his crop, before deciding to put him on 0.4ml of Baytril twice a day. Since then, he has stopped eating and drinking, is much more fluffed up, and looks horrible. His breathing isn't labored and no tail bobbing. His poop is nothing but white urates and a green rimmed edge of his urine (pic below)
His current setup is he is under a heat lamp that is keeping him at 90 on the warm side and around 85 on the cool side. I am giving him Pedialyte 3 times a day (he takes about .3ccs, but sometimes more). I give him a small amount of diluted apple cider vinegar and also one drop of vitamins, once a day. I am trying to hand feed him some Exact baby bird food, but I have to water it down quite a bit to get him to drink it through the side of his beak. He refuses to open his mouth. I just got some Morning Bird Probiotics Live that I will be giving him to help with any gut issues from the antibiotics. The vet does not come back into the office until Tuesday and I'm at a loss. I'm not sure if he's just dying due to age or the antibiotics are doing more harm than good. Anyone have any advice, til I can get in touch with the vet?

Attachments

Green_Ranger

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
He is still sitting on his perch, but no real change. How much should I be giving him as far as food amounts and liquid?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so sorry your bird is sick. Is there another vet that you can bring him to?

Green_Ranger

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
No. I don't think he's going to make it, anyway. He's on the bottom of his cage, now. I did everything I could. It's probably just his time.