• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sick Baby

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Night before last, in between being on this thread discussing putting Spirit in a hospital cage , I went to check on a nest.
F76D60B6-32BC-4820-8BC6-F9844372ED50.jpeg
It’s unusual in that there’s a 2 week old Gouldian and a few days old Society finch. Well the baby society had a terrible case of yeast in the crop. It was literally bubbling over.
I got him out and tried to give him apple cider vinegar but he resisted. I ended up removing some of the yuck. Also there were some dark seeds in his crop which seemed to be indigestible so I removed those.
He was breathing in that gasping way they do when they’re not going to make it.
I gave them some neem tea.
Last night I went to check on them and he’s fine.
Go figure.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Correction: I gave the parents neem tea not the babies!!!

What I found odd was he’s fine now- in my experience after they breathe in short open beak gasps, they die.

( ^^ What happens when you type before you are really awake)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Her weight went up! I hope that’s not a fluke. 83 grams. She wants to be on hubby all the time. She is awake in the day now.
I’m starting to feel hopeful. :heart:
That's a positive sign. What is her normal weight, btw?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hopefully she'll keep gaining weight. Roswell dropped about 20 grams when he got sick a few months ago but gained that back only to lose about 16 when he got sick again recently. However the last time he was weighed he had gained back 10 grams.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hopefully she'll keep gaining weight. Roswell dropped about 20 grams when he got sick a few months ago but gained that back only to lose about 16 when he got sick again recently. However the last time he was weighed he had gained back 10 grams.
She's back down again today, so apparently hubby did it wrong. I'll weigh her myself tomorrow.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I’m haiving a hard time.
The tiny baby in the nest ^^ photo up there somewhere... he is still bubbling stuff out of his beak. Now it looks like they’ve quit feeding him, he’s dehydrated. I guess we need to “try” but it seems hopeless.

Another bird, the one I originally bought for someone else and we never managed to trade them off, so I paid her for them: it’s a blue gouldian. It wasn’t in good shape when I got him in June. I did all the quarantine treatments, but he’d been living on an apartment balcony that’s right in a downtown area near Miami. He never has gotten completely well, and now he’s passing whole seed.

And one of the other cockatiels seems not to feel well.

I guess they are passing around a little bug. This is exhausting, to have all the kiddos sick. :D

Marsbirds

Meeting neighbors
Awww thank you! She’s hanging in there. Squeals every time I give her antibiotic, then grabs the syringe and licks it.

You can tell she’s still weak though. I overslept and she didn’t get weighed. Crossing fingers for tomorrow.
Sending love! ❤

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh gosh, that’s scary. I hope they will all be okay!!

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sending thoughts. It’s hard when one is sick. When it’s the whole aviary, it’s even worse. Hang tough.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How is Spirit doing? Much better, I hope??