• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sick baby budgie

Pastel

Meeting neighbors
Hello everyone,

this weekend has been exhausting since i just found out that my first bird ever was sick from day one. I really wanted a white budgie and i did not pay enough attention to the fact that he was abnormally calm (also I thought it was his personality). So after a month of thinking it was an extremely fearful baby bird who was too scared to play, explore and eat by himself, I called the vet whom I already had booked a first appointment with (would’ve taken place two weeks from now). I asked for an earlier appointmen because I had a bad feeling. When I explained what was wrong with Pastel they told me to go straight to the emergency. So after spending all night there and paying 350$ I got back home with my sick baby, some antibiotics and some anti-fungus. He supposedly has a digestive infection. The thing is that in combination with the breathing problems, i think he might have pisstacosis.. I was coughing yesterday too.

I really only post this thread to get some reassurance since everyone around me are suggesting I take the bird back to the pet store. Of course they don’t know what loving a baby bird feels like and they don’t understand why I bother putting my life on pause to hand feed him every hour, risking my health, spending alot of money and taking in the stress of having to chase Pastel in his cage two times a day to give medication by force and not even knowing if it is the right medication...

I just love my little guy too much to give up on him.

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you return him to the pet store, he will die. There is no doubt about that. If you can spend the money and time taking care of him, then you should definitely try to get him healthy.

Pastel

Meeting neighbors
If you return him to the pet store, he will die. There is no doubt about that. If you can spend the money and time taking care of him, then you should definitely try to get him healthy.
I completely agree.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm glad you took Pastel to the vet. I'd stop questioning the diagnosis & continue with the prescription.

Be sure you get your rest & eat well. Your being sick won't help Pastel. In fact, Pastel might get blamed for it.

I wouldn't bring him back to the store. They'd likely put him in the back or send him straight back to the breeder, who'd not likely do anything positive. His best chance is with you.

Pastel

Meeting neighbors
I'm glad you took Pastel to the vet. I'd stop questioning the diagnosis & continue with the prescription.

Be sure you get your rest & eat well. Your being sick won't help Pastel. In fact, Pastel might get blamed for it.

I wouldn't bring him back to the store. They'd likely put him in the back or send him straight back to the breeder, who'd not likely do anything positive. His best chance is with you.
Thank you, it makes me a little less anxious to read that I shouldn’t question the diagnostic too much.

Taking him back to the store or rehoming him in general is not an option. I love him and I could never stand knowing he would be sick, away from me and in a small cage with not as much care as I give him. If giving him his medication by force makes me cry (i’m very sensitive), I can’t imagine putting him under the stress of a big change. I’m not thinking of giving up, but everyone around me seems to want me to. That’s why I’m confiding here, with people who understand the love i have for my bird.

annafauna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Anna
I hope the medicine helps! Are you already using a cloth to catch and hold him during medicine time? I was really nervous when I first had to give Snowy meds, not least of all because she didn't trust me yet and was a biter. The vet was like, "Oh, just use a cloth!" and lo and behold... I felt like it really kept her calmer -- or at least not wiggly -- while I dosed her. And she came to associate the cloth with this activity she didn't like instead of my hands. That really helped with feeling bad about having to do something she didn't enjoy.

Pastel

Meeting neighbors
I hope the medicine helps! Are you already using a cloth to catch and hold him during medicine time? I was really nervous when I first had to give Snowy meds, not least of all because she didn't trust me yet and was a biter. The vet was like, "Oh, just use a cloth!" and lo and behold... I felt like it really kept her calmer -- or at least not wiggly -- while I dosed her. And she came to associate the cloth with this activity she didn't like instead of my hands. That really helped with feeling bad about having to do something she didn't enjoy.
Ohh I feel for you, the vet told me to use a cloth and i’m glad I never got to do it with my bare hands. The process is still very stressful because i have to chase him, grab him and make sure he doesn’t get away or move too much, and at the same time i don’t want to suffocate him or press on his belly! I find closing the lights helps because he can’t really see what’s happening, but again it takes alot of courage!

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I’m sorry you’re going through such a stressful time. Thank you for bringing Pastel to a vet, I wish a full recovery to both of you. :hug8:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Aww sorry to hear your bird is sick. Glad you got to the vet and picked up some meds.
It can be very stressful when the people around you aren´t supportive, but if you need to talk, there´s always someone online here who will support you :)

"Oh, just use a cloth!" and lo and behold... I felt like it really kept her calmer
I found the same. I used to have to stretch one of my birds feet, and I used a teeshirt to do that. She never even tried to wriggle away. I also used a teeshirt to feed meds to my other birds, and it helped a lot. I found that I didn´t need a towel like larger birds do.

Pastel

Meeting neighbors
Aww sorry to hear your bird is sick. Glad you got to the vet and picked up some meds.
It can be very stressful when the people around you aren´t supportive, but if you need to talk, there´s always someone online here who will support you :)

I found the same. I used to have to stretch one of my birds feet, and I used a teeshirt to do that. She never even tried to wriggle away. I also used a teeshirt to feed meds to my other birds, and it helped a lot. I found that I didn´t need a towel like larger birds do.
Thank you, it’s really appreciated. He is not doing much better than he was on Saturday but i still got hope