• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Sick African Grey

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
This is a possibility and only a possibility - don't panic, please. Atherosclerosis is very prevalent in all companion birds and is worth a look at. That is why your Dr. wants to do a cardiac ultrasound. Read this so you will understand. My jasper lived for 23 years with atherosclerosis - it's not an easy path.

ppogor

Moving in
Real Name
Paula
This is a possibility and only a possibility - don't panic, please. Atherosclerosis is very prevalent in all companion birds and is worth a look at. That is why your Dr. wants to do a cardiac ultrasound. Read this so you will understand. My jasper lived for 23 years with atherosclerosis - it's not an easy path.

That’s horrible. I’m sorry that your bird had it. How did you manage it? Do they prescribe medicine? I am going to take her in on Thursday for the ultrasound.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes, there are medications that help. As important is their diet and getting lots of exercise. It is intense keeping a bird with atherosclerosis the best they can be.

ppogor

Moving in
Real Name
Paula
I took Kiwi to another vet and basically they think she has heart disease. They think the symptoms were brought on by the stress of leaving her for a few days. She got medications that she will have to take for the rest of her life. Not great news, but hoping she gets better. Thank you all for your answers and support.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Heart disease (congestive heart disease, atherosclerosis) are high incidence in African Greys. So I'm not surprised at the diagnosis.

Medication alone is not the total answer. Combine the medication with a low saturated fat diet and lots of exercise. Flying, if possible.

Good luck with your girl.

ppogor

Moving in
Real Name
Paula
The problem right now is that she has very weak feet and can’t even properly grip or walk. I’m hoping these symptoms improve so she can feel comfortable walking again and get some exercise. She’s not much of a flyer and unfortunately there isn’t much space for her to fly in our home.

Do you guys have any tips on administering liquid medicine? She doesn’t want it from the syringe. I came up with soaking almonds with the medicine since she loves nuts. Any other ideas?