• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Siblings

MattP

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matthew
Hello
I have a little boy quaker, still just 4 months old. I am debating adopting another quaker, a female from the same clutch. This is not for the purpose of breeding but i am posting this here because it still seems a suitable category. The young female would be a companion but i want to find out about any potential ramifications before i commit. They are some time away from maturity but the time will come. How do siblings generally get on? How do i discourage breeding? Not providing anything that could be used as nesting material appears to be one way. Is housing 2 opposite-gender siblings a bad idea for other reasons other than the risk of inbreeding? Many thanks for your time

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Is housing 2 opposite-gender siblings a bad idea for other reasons other than the risk of inbreeding?
There is no risk of inbreeding while they are under your care as long as you are vigilant.
Having a male female bonded pair of birds, things I have thought about are; what happens when I´m away, making sure the caretaker (my partner) is looking for eggs, what if I´m hospitalised with my partner, who will care for the birds and will they look for eggs, should I die and the birds be rehomed, that new home needs to know they are sibnlings and to remove eggs.

How do i discourage breeding?
Buy a set of dummy eggs, and switch out all the eggs laid. I like to keep the cage floor clear of clutter so I spot eggs quickly, as well as block off nooks out in the room to avoid laying eggs on a bookshelf of anything like that.

How do siblings generally get on?
They either will or won´t. Some will bond, like my birds did, other will fight and be incompatible. It is possible they can enjoy each others company from separate cages, but ultimately there´s no way of knowing how the birds will like each other now they have been separated already.

MattP

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matthew
Thank
There is no risk of inbreeding while they are under your care as long as you are vigilant.
Having a male female bonded pair of birds, things I have thought about are; what happens when I´m away, making sure the caretaker (my partner) is looking for eggs, what if I´m hospitalised with my partner, who will care for the birds and will they look for eggs, should I die and the birds be rehomed, that new home needs to know they are sibnlings and to remove eggs.

Buy a set of dummy eggs, and switch out all the eggs laid. I like to keep the cage floor clear of clutter so I spot eggs quickly, as well as block off nooks out in the room to avoid laying eggs on a bookshelf of anything like that.

They either will or won´t. Some will bond, like my birds did, other will fight and be incompatible. It is possible they can enjoy each others company from separate cages, but ultimately there´s no way of knowing how the birds will like each other now they have been separated already.
Thank you very much, very useful. I am in two minds about it but there is no need to rush the decision. When i am home he is out of the cage and I interact with him a lot and he has toys and things to investigate. But i must work sometimes and despite having things in his cage (and i keep trying different things) is the most social of my birds. The tiels are aware of each other peripherally and flock call if one leaves the cage but don't interact particularly sociably when together. My conure seems much happier now he has a buddy (previously caged together before i adopted the first) and my thinking was my quaker would be a happier bird with quaker company. I have read a great many posts on here about the pros and cons of bringing home a companion. My observations of his individual nature cause me to think he may enjoy company but I appreciate i may be projecting.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Personally, if I were you, If you do decide to bring home a second Quaker, look for a non-sibling. It just makes life easier (morally). I didn´t set out for a sibling pair, I wanted a bird to pair up with my single male, but instead of leaving the clutch to find mates, they bonded with each other.

I´ll tag @Pixiebeak , I´m sure they´ll know more about this species and their interactions.

MattP

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matthew
Personally, if I were you, If you do decide to bring home a second Quaker, look for a non-sibling. It just makes life easier (morally). I didn´t set out for a sibling pair, I wanted a bird to pair up with my single male, but instead of leaving the clutch to find mates, they bonded with each other.

I´ll tag @Pixiebeak , I´m sure they´ll know more about this species and their interactions.
Thank you Zara :)

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Quakers are very social. The great thing is you already have 4 , other species parrots around and that is beneficial even if they don't buddy up. Plus you are important to them. Its more of a question if you want a second Quaker, if you have time to give to more parrots.

As a single mom to 3 Quakers and a green cheek and 2 budgies. It would be to much for me to provide adequately, if they weren't all able to be out together. All sit on me at the same time and can share attention ( except one wild budgie). Unfortunately I hear many others start to struggle and have burn out , with multiples that have to managed separately..leading to a lot of stress and re home some.

On specifics. Mine are all caged separate. I can show oodles of pictures of them grooming, regurgitate to each other, napping and eating together. Tho these relationships grew over years to reach this level. But every attempt to house 2 together has led to fussing and weight loss.

Having 2 regardless of sex of individuals can lead to a strong pair bond as in seeing each-other as a mate. I have pair bonded currently and have had in past. This is and was no issues or problems for me. I have close relationships with all and spend so much time with them. But I've read so many stories of others struggling. With the parrots mate guard each-other and attacking owner, loosing their bond with their owner. Currently we have the 2 green cheek thread, with this struggle. With Quakers maybe this is less of an issue since they live communal in close proximity to other pairs and utilize baby sitters . But I don't know enough multiple Quaker households and their stories to know. I just know it hasn't been an issue in my home.

Only Phoebe so far has ever laid an egg. She laid 2 at 6 months old, I just tossed them immediately. Then again this year she laid one and I tossed it as soon as found. Some species you definitely would not want to do that. Even with Quakers you want to follow your veterinarian recommendations. If as an individual this hadn't worked so well with Phoebe or if things change with her I might do things differently.

So my advice is get another Quaker if you want a second Quaker. And you have room to house separate if needed.

MattP

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matthew
Quakers are very social. The great thing is you already have 4 , other species parrots around and that is beneficial even if they don't buddy up. Plus you are important to them. Its more of a question if you want a second Quaker, if you have time to give to more parrots.

As a single mom to 3 Quakers and a green cheek and 2 budgies. It would be to much for me to provide adequately, if they weren't all able to be out together. All sit on me at the same time and can share attention ( except one wild budgie). Unfortunately I hear many others start to struggle and have burn out , with multiples that have to managed separately..leading to a lot of stress and re home some.

On specifics. Mine are all caged separate. I can show oodles of pictures of them grooming, regurgitate to each other, napping and eating together. Tho these relationships grew over years to reach this level. But every attempt to house 2 together has led to fussing and weight loss.

Having 2 regardless of sex of individuals can lead to a strong pair bond as in seeing each-other as a mate. I have pair bonded currently and have had in past. This is and was no issues or problems for me. I have close relationships with all and spend so much time with them. But I've read so many stories of others struggling. With the parrots mate guard each-other and attacking owner, loosing their bond with their owner. Currently we have the 2 green cheek thread, with this struggle. With Quakers maybe this is less of an issue since they live communal in close proximity to other pairs and utilize baby sitters . But I don't know enough multiple Quaker households and their stories to know. I just know it hasn't been an issue in my home.

Only Phoebe so far has ever laid an egg. She laid 2 at 6 months old, I just tossed them immediately. Then again this year she laid one and I tossed it as soon as found. Some species you definitely would not want to do that. Even with Quakers you want to follow your veterinarian recommendations. If as an individual this hadn't worked so well with Phoebe or if things change with her I might do things differently.

So my advice is get another Quaker if you want a second Quaker. And you have room to house separate if needed.
Thanks again Pixiebeak :) I think i will hold off for the time being. I can spend a fair amount of time with Donnie Q and I can also hang out with the tiels (they come out on an external perch) and the conures together. The conures and Donnie are happy playing in their separate play areas with me within arms reach. As you say getting another will have an unpredictable outcome, possibly resulting in yet another cage to clean :wacky:

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Thanks again Pixiebeak :) I think i will hold off for the time being. I can spend a fair amount of time with Donnie Q and I can also hang out with the tiels (they come out on an external perch) and the conures together. The conures and Donnie are happy playing in their separate play areas with me within arms reach. As you say getting another will have an unpredictable outcome, possibly resulting in yet another cage to clean :wacky:
Had to laugh on another cafe to clean! You naked it the whole reason I would like to have 2 in a cage !!!!

But with Donnie still young you probably have a good chance he would share a cage..

You sound lots of time preening Donnie right? They seem to need a lot of contact.

MattP

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matthew
Had to laugh on another cafe to clean! You naked it the whole reason I would like to have 2 in a cage !!!!

But with Donnie still young you probably have a good chance he would share a cage..

You sound lots of time preening Donnie right? They seem to need a lot of contact.
Yes I have sensed he appreciates contact which is what led me to consider a companion for him, for when i am otherwise occupied. He is out of the cage as often as possible... before work and after work and longer on days off and my half days. I normally don't work full time hours. I stroke his head and upper back frequently. He likes to cuddle into my hand. He's a gorgeous, tame, gentle and affectionate little guy. He is clear about what he wants and i respect it so he has never bitten me hard. I am aware adolescence will bring some changes but I am a father of 2, this ain't my first rodeo :D
In other news making some huge strides with my skittish tiels these last few days. Charlie Tiel, my first fid and the most skittish, has started following his buddy, Phoenix Tiel, who is slightly less skittish. Charlie has started coming out on the external perches for treats... he was turning into a perch potato so i made his cage layout less convenient and now he is emerging hopefully he will start being more active. He already had a recon around the cage. I am so delighted both of them are coming out of their shell (pun intended). Lots of calm talking, avoiding eye contact, calm movements, and mostly a lack of accidental scares and they are starting to feel secure enough to begin interacting with the world outside their cage. So happy