• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Shower Caulking Safe For Birds

whitedog

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jan Woodard
I have searched but cannot find the answer to this question. I am not sure this is the correct place to post this question.

I need to have my shower faucets replaced. Tiles will need to removed to have this job done and then new tiles installed. My concern is the caulking that will be used to seal and secure the new tiles.

I have three birds who are family to me. I don't want them harmed nor see them die due to the caulking fumes.

I do not have any family or friends to leave them with for a few days and my veterinarian has retired. So I have no where safe to place my birds for a few days.

Is there any such a thing as a bird safe caulking that can be used to seal shower tiles?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There should be an exhaust fan in that room. Turn it on and leave it on for a couple days after they're done. That will create a negative air pressure in. that room drawing all smells and fumes up the exhaust.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Not that I am aware of. All products will produce some fumes while curing which would be harmful to birds.

If you can't move them out of the house, is there a room where you could move them that is far away from the bathroom?

Be sure to setup a fan in the bathroom to help ventilate the fumes to the outside, if you don't have an exhaust fan. Another fan could be setup in the room with the birds to pull clean air into their room.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Yes there is zero-VOC caulk. I have used it myself several times.
You can google it. I bought online at Green Building Supply, but it looks like Home Depot might have some.

whitedog

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jan Woodard
There should be an exhaust fan in that room. Turn it on and leave it on for a couple days after they're done. That will create a negative air pressure in. that room drawing all smells and fumes up the exhaust.
Thank you. I will keep your suggestion in mind.