• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Show me your favourite feathers

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
It's a one-off. Ive never had one like this before or since.
Did you notice it while it was attached to him? Would have been the second or third primary feather on his right side. Should have been easy to spot, no?

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I haven’t noticed any of Birdies other head feathers having both yellow and white on them. That feather was from underneath his crest.
It’s gorgeous love the white and yellow

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Did you notice it while it was attached to him? Would have been the second or third primary feather on his right side. Should have been easy to spot, no?
He did have another one similar but not as much yellow, so thought nothing of it tbh.
I hope it's not a bad thing...

Now, I'm going to have a look through them all. @Macawnutz has me curious now.

20221227_222634.jpg

Last edited:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
He did have another one similar but not as much yellow, so thought nothing of it tbh.
I hope it's not a bad thing...
If you started seeing MULTIPLE pale yellow feathers I would tell you to go have his liver checked. One or two like the one you have pictured is usually a birthmark type feather. I would expect it to regrow in the same spot every time it molts. The coloring can be slightly different but that shaft spot should be the weirdo one every year. He should have it now if you go digging in that right wing. Should be in the first set of primary for sure.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
If you started seeing MULTIPLE pale yellow feathers I would tell you to go have his liver checked. One or two like the one you have pictured is usually a birthmark type feather. I would expect it to regrow in the same spot every time it molts. The coloring can be slightly different but that shaft spot should be the weirdo one every year. He should have it now if you go digging in that right wing. Should be in the first set of primary for sure.
I found the other one. 20221227_223214.jpg

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Oh yah. Same feather, same feather spot. It's like a birthmark. He should have it every year. :)

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Now that I know how special they are I will press them and put them in my photograph album. Thank you so much Sarah. Who knew birds had birthmarks! :heart2:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Wow they are gorgeous. Mine are manky looking. So I went through them all and these are the 3. He's sleeping now, it's 10:30 pm here but I will look tomorrow. View attachment 420083
Oh that center one might be a different feather next to your weirdo one. It doesn't look like the same one to me. Possible but probably not. Maybe he has two stranges next to each other.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Now that I know how special they are I will press them and put them in my photograph album. Thank you so much Sarah. Who knew birds had birthmarks! :heart2:
Like a birthmark but yes, they are quite different from normal BG feathers. I'm sure none of our BG owners have ones like that. I don't and I have two BG.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I will definitely check him in the morning to see if there's another one.
He's just about finished molting.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
What is the special bump for? I have seen some birds have different edges on feathers to help them fly silently, and some others have wings that whistle as an alarm to other flock mates when they take off in a hurry. Absolutely fascinating stuff.
Its cool right? I guess called a feather notch. A special adaptation thought to help them hover. I thought only quakers had. But @Winn found an old AA thread and @Mizzely mentioned a couple of other parrot species have the feather bump adaptation.

It is fascinating stuff!! All unique feathers and sound if flight.

My quakers normally do a noisy flight as feathers/ wings make noise while flying. Why they bother when my quakers normally vocalize during flight!

But my quakers are able to a silent flight when they want to be sneaky ;) so they are able to adjust wing/feather sounds. As are other species which is fascinating!

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura