• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Show budgie with diabetes

BirdyBee

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Anè(she/her)
Hi everyone. Sunny suddenly became ill, and when I took her to the vet, she said that Sunny likely has diabetes, but will do some tests to confirm.

The vet said that Sunny can't have seeds, and can only eat pellets for now. Veggies like sweet potato, carrot, etc, should be avoided as well. I can only start feeding veggies like spinach when Sunny is doing OK.

Does anyone here have advice? TIA

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
Howard our BFA has diabetes and is on medication for it. Some test our doctor did and some she sent out to a laboratory. He was on a diet of black oil sunflower seeds when we got him and wasn't in the best shape. This are the test strips to check his blood sugar. Did your vet mention meds or just diet change? Did she say what the blood sugar was on your bird? 20221031_090623.jpg

BirdyBee

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Anè(she/her)
Howard our BFA has diabetes and is on medication for it. Some test our doctor did and some she sent out to a laboratory. He was on a diet of black oil sunflower seeds when we got him and wasn't in the best shape. This are the test strips to check his blood sugar. Did your vet mention meds or just diet change? Did she say what the blood sugar was on your bird? View attachment 416024
My vet did mention that I will need to give meds.

I had to leave sunny at the vet for the tests, but am going to pick her up soon and will hear the results.

BirdyBee

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Anè(she/her)
Ok so lots of news. Also sorry for the late reply

She has diabetes. Apparently the normal sugar is 8-11, and Sunny's is 20. Sunny also weighs only around 40g.

When doing the xray, the vet couldn't even see the heart because of fungus.

Vet says she wants to get sugar level under control, then fungal treatment will start. If Sunnys sugar isn't ok when we see vet again, we will start meds for diabetes.

Sunny also is suspected to have digestive problems and she has liver issues too or something.

Basically her health is crap lol.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I'm tagging @Hankmacaw who knows a lot about fungus in birds. She may have some ideas.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So sorry to hear about Sunny ..best of luck with your treatments :hug8:

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
Tagging @Ripshod in case he has anything to contribute.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Ok so lots of news. Also sorry for the late reply

She has diabetes. Apparently the normal sugar is 8-11, and Sunny's is 20. Sunny also weighs only around 40g.

When doing the xray, the vet couldn't even see the heart because of fungus.

Vet says she wants to get sugar level under control, then fungal treatment will start. If Sunnys sugar isn't ok when we see vet again, we will start meds for diabetes.

Sunny also is suspected to have digestive problems and she has liver issues too or something.

Basically her health is crap lol.
You have a lot of work ahead (stating the obvious). I don't personally have any experience of diabetes which leaves me wondering if using milk thistle for the FLD would be a good idea.
Did the vet recommend a specific pellet as a lot have sugar in them?
Whatever, we're here for you for any specific questions.

BirdyBee

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Anè(she/her)
You have a lot of work ahead (stating the obvious). I don't personally have any experience of diabetes which leaves me wondering if using milk thistle for the FLD would be a good idea.
Did the vet recommend a specific pellet as a lot have sugar in them?
Whatever, we're here for you for any specific questions.
The vet recommended a pellet with no sugar in. I unfortunately can't give her TOPS as it has seed and seed is apparently very bad for birds with diabetes.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
Dud your vet say when they wanted to re check her sugar level?

Ivan.Vanca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ivan Vanca
I just know that when a budgie or some other bird suffers diabetes, he has too massive polyuria, too much urine in poops. I wish your bird a soon recovery if possible. PRay for his recovery.