• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Shoulder and Floor Time

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
Hi friends,
What are your tips for discouraging shoulder time and floor walking? I am super proud of Chipper for being so curious and brave yesterday..He climbed from the cage to my shoulder and made happy, sweet noises once he was there. When I brought him back to his cage, he climbed back onto it. But I'm aware that shoulder time with a U2 means I am unable to read his body language, which, at this early stage of our relationship, is very important! He is still not sure about stepping up onto my hands, so I was unable to get him off that way. Obviously, step up is the number one thing to work on, but what else do you do to discourage the shoulder?

Also, he climbed down off the cage yesterday because I took away his precious boing rope to vet wrap it ..He loves that bell on the rope, so he followed me to make sure it wasn't going anywhere! Again, I'm aware of the potential problems with him walking on the floor too much, but with his inability to fly, what is the other option? Should he be carried from place to place only? Or create a path for him with ropes and perches? He did step up beautifully from the floor two times yesterday, once after taking a tumble from his cage door,poor thing!

Thanks for your tips, guys! :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Can you get him to step up on your arm? And then drop you arm so he doesn't get to your shoulder? I let me birds on the floor. I know people have mixed feelings about it but I'm always careful about it. Sunny loved to be on the floor and actually preferred walking to flying. Elvis rarely goes on the floor but when he does, I let him.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
@sunnysmom I'd love for him to have the freedom to walk around, but I think it will be a good 4 or 5 years until the kids are big enough for me to feel comfortable with that. Ellen is right at the level where he could jump up and get her face if he wanted! Poor Ellen gets bullied by the rooster already, have to make sure she's safe from birds sometimes or she'll end up with some horrible bird phobia :rofl:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
@sunnysmom I'd love for him to have the freedom to walk around, but I think it will be a good 4 or 5 years until the kids are big enough for me to feel comfortable with that. Ellen is right at the level where he could jump up and get her face if he wanted! Poor Ellen gets bullied by the rooster already, have to make sure she's safe from birds sometimes or she'll end up with some horrible bird phobia :rofl:
Sorry- I was forgetting about your human children. You're right, not a good idea. Does he like the play area you built for him? Maybe he gets an almond or something he likes for going to his playstand?

M&M Ninja

Strolling the yard
He loves that bell on the rope, so he followed me to make sure it wasn't going anywhere!
You probably were not trying to get a laugh but I thought this was really funny. Thank you for sharing such a silly and wholesome story.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
@sunnysmom He's still afraid of the play stand. I've been putting it near his cage with his favorites on it, but it's still a no go so far. He will step up onto my arm if he's on the floor (so far lol) So maybe I need to place him either onto the cage or playstand if he ventures to the floor? And just repeat, repeat, repeat

@M&M Ninja it was funny! He's actually quite comical..He refused to let me adjust that rope in his cage yesterday, he's in love with it! I'm currently upstairs and can hear the non stop ringing! Haha

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don’t know a darn thing about cockatoo behavior but could you encourage him to do what is acceptable instead of discourage him.

As an example, I’m thinking if you don’t want him on your shoulder then while he’s on your forearm, hand, or lap give him a foot toy or treats and let him know with positive reinforcement that that’s where you would like him to be.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
@Karen Good idea!!

@sunnysmom Do you have Elvis step up onto your arm, or hand? My first instinct is my arm because he's so huge and my hands are small, but I'm not really sure if it matters to him.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What are your tips for discouraging shoulder time and floor walking?
Tika is not allowed on the shoulder. period. Ever. Because that would just be my stupid.

They can't do anything you simply don't allow. Same goes for the floor. (this is where that long term adapted environment plays its part. A safe secure area just for him)

Or create a path for him with ropes and perches?

That's what I do. You can't beat em.

Attachments

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Thanks @JLcribber ! I do believe Chipper would be fine on my shoulder most of the time, but if he gets nervous or jealous of my husband or kids, I know I could end up in a world of hurt, so I'd rather play it safe.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
@JLcribber Actually, I think Chipper and I could both benefit from that! He struggles to step up, I think he's lacking some confidence when it comes to leaving his cage area, but he does trust me! He desperately wants to be close and have his head rubbed, but, understandably, he's just not able to open up yet. Maybe the T stand could help him feel like he's at a safe distance and can finally be closer to us and more involved than he can be from the top of his cage. Plus, it eliminates the shoulder problem. I'll get my super handy hubby on the case, then it will be weeks before Chip isn't afraid of it lol

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
@Karen Good idea!!

@sunnysmom Do you have Elvis step up onto your arm, or hand? My first instinct is my arm because he's so huge and my hands are small, but I'm not really sure if it matters to him.

I actually let Elvis on my shoulder (don't yell at me @JLcribber ;)). I understand the risks and can read him pretty well. Elvis is quite a bit smaller than your 'too though. So Elvis usually hops on my shoulder. But when we do "step up", he does use my hand. I think in your case arm might be easier though or T stick