• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should my caique have cage time during the day?

Lindsay08

Moving in
Real Name
Lindsay Thompson
Hello all, so my little miss sassy pants, white belly caique is a year and a half old now. We have had her for a little over a year and I am retired so during the daytime from 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. she is pretty much out of her cage all day. The only time she is really in a cage is at night 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. when she is in her sleep cage and her bedroom or if we go somewhere which isn't very often. But we've moved to a new home and once in a while we need to get her in the cage and she's starting to fight going into her larger cage that's downstairs in the main area. I'm starting to wonder with her getting closer to maturity if it might be a good idea for her to spend a couple hours in her big cage in the main area during the day? With all of my other birds I worked so they had cage time during the day so when I was home they would be out of the cage but since I'm home all day pretty much every day sassy pants is out of the cage all day every day. It just kind of seems like she's getting that attitude of being too big for her britches because she is out all day every day. Anyone else have experience with keeping their birds out all day? Or do your birds get some cage time during the day even when you are home?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My Jardine's is out all day long, but I'm also home all day long usually haha. He spent his life before me mostly caged so he doesn't really leave his area. I do lock him up at night usually, but only because I have a cat, and if we will be out of the house or if we have my mom's dog over. I do think it is a learned skill and that some cage time is beneficial to learn how to behave :)

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
My cockatoo and macaw are out all day.
They will go in their respective cages to eat and drink or just to sit and chill out but at night, my cockatoo is happy to go in and get covered for the night, whereas my macaw will wait until I tell him it's bed time to try and hide. He does get to stay up later as he's in another room and quite independent, so when he is ready for bed, he will just put himself in.
On a positive notè, if I do have to go out through the day or night, I jusr say "Come on Frankie (macaw), mommy has to go out" and he will willingly go right in his cage.
Dolly (cockatoo) doesn't stray too far from me so I just ask her and she goes in her cage.
I think because I give them both the choice, it's easier and less stressful all around.
That's just my own personal experience :)

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I’ve gotten my too and tiel into a schedule of a “mid day nap”, usually from 2ish to about 4ish - this gives me a chance to do things without having to keep them out of it. There’s nothing quite like folding laundry with a Velcro cockatiel.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I’ve gotten my too and tiel into a schedule of a “mid day nap”, usually from 2ish to about 4ish - this gives me a chance to do things without having to keep them out of it. There’s nothing quite like folding laundry with a Velcro cockatiel.
Ha! Try it with a macaw who insists on helping!
Hubby keeps asking why his socks are on the floor by Frankie.

Lindsay08

Moving in
Real Name
Lindsay Thompson
Yes, sassy pants absolutely loves to help with laundry! She does really good when it's time to go to bed her sleep cage is upstairs she has her own bedroom and since we moved to the new house because our ceilings are higher here she flies far more frequently than she did at our other house so she wears herself out throughout the day. So come about 4: 30/5 when she normally goes to bed she is actually been flying upstairs and getting into her sleep cage. It just seems to be her big cage on the main level because she so seldomly goes in there for anything that I'm having a hard time getting her to go in there when I need her to, Even trying to bribe her with her favorite treat hasn't been working I used to have her cage right next to my chair in the living room but our new place is really big and so instead of having her cage next to my chair I have one of her perches next to my chair. And she has another larger wood perch in the dining room that has her food... I was thinking it might be a good idea to take about an hour during lunch time to put her in the cage with some chop that way I can eat lunch. She is very much a velcro bird when I eat lunch

Lindsay08

Moving in
Real Name
Lindsay Thompson
My cockatoo and macaw are out all day.
They will go in their respective cages to eat and drink or just to sit and chill out but at night, my cockatoo is happy to go in and get covered for the night, whereas my macaw will wait until I tell him it's bed time to try and hide. He does get to stay up later as he's in another room and quite independent, so when he is ready for bed, he will just put himself in.
On a positive notè, if I do have to go out through the day or night, I jusr say "Come on Frankie (macaw), mommy has to go out" and he will willingly go right in his cage.
Dolly (cockatoo) doesn't stray too far from me so I just ask her and she goes in her cage.
I think because I give them both the choice, it's easier and less stressful all around.
That's just my own personal experience :)
usually when I have to put sassy pants in her cage down here on the main level it's because we have people coming over or like a service man or something like that. For a while I was letting her hang out just wherever when we would have people over but she bit my stepmom recently and my stepmom has cancer and is on blood thinners so I thought it'd be a good idea to make sure that sassy pants is in the cage at least when they first get here. She gets so hyper when people first get here so I figured it's just safer to have her in the cage for the first 10 minutes or so until everybody settles down a little. I don't know if giving her a choice would make a difference I think in her little birdie mind if she had a choice it wouldn't be to go in the cage