• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I?

Joseph

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joseph Smithberger
Petting a bird anywhere apart from the head is intensely sexual for them. Birds who are friends will preen each other's heads. Birds who are mates will preen all over the body. Stroking under a bird's wings, their chest, and especially down their back or around the vent is basically the psittacine equivalent of making out or even having sex.

Having a bird who thinks you are its mate is unfair on your family. Your bird will see them as rivals for your affections, and will be more likely to be aggressive towards them in an attempt to drive them away. It is also incredibly unfair on the bird. Mated pairs are around each other 24/7. They preen each other, they forage together, they sleep next to each other, they fly almost touching wingtips. You simply cannot offer that level of companionship and understanding to a bird, because you are not a bird.

As such, you must limit yourself to headscratches only with a parrot. Even then, not all parrots enjoy being touched. There are a number on AA who have lived with their human flock for years without wanting to be pet. If you want a pet who you can reliably stroke, give headscratches to or cuddle, don't get a parrot.
I just don’t want my bird to be like a finch! Ok? I know not to touch the bird anywhere else! I asked a question and nobody answers. Just criticism! Good bye!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I love tiels! Don’t get me wrong. It’s just there powder would not be good for me as I have asthma. If anybody wants to help me out on this it would be amazing.
I want a cuddly bird
I want my bird to be affectionate to everyone in the family (mostly me though :)
I don’t want a bird that gets sick all the time (although I’m fine with vet visits)
I want a bird that’s relatively fine with dogs
You're right. If you have asthma, it's best not to get a tiel- or a 'too or a grey. As for sickness- any bird can get sick- it's not species specific but it's best to avoid birds bred from "bird mills". And no bird should really be around any dog - out of it's cage. Maybe look into conures or one of the pis?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I just don’t want my bird to be like a finch! Ok? I know not to touch the bird anywhere else! I asked a question and nobody answers. Just criticism! Good bye!
No one has criticized you. We've all given you advice that often has been hard learned or is based on science. You expressed that you want a family pet and we are letting you know the best way to help ensure that happens. Birds sadly are not like cats and dogs, which is both amazing and infuriating depending on the situation :)

Joseph

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joseph Smithberger
No one has criticized you. We've all given you advice that often has been hard learned or is based on science. You expressed that you want a family pet and we are letting you know the best way to help ensure that happens. Birds sadly are not like cats and dogs, which is both amazing and infuriating depending on the situation :)
I’m sorry! It’s just by cuddle I want my bird to be able to be tamed come on my shoulder, step up, be pet on the head. Just little stuff like that.

Reactions: Ali

Joseph

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joseph Smithberger
You're right. If you have asthma, it's best not to get a tiel- or a 'too or a grey. As for sickness- any bird can get sick- it's not species specific but it's best to avoid birds bred from "bird mills". And no bird should really be around any dog - out of it's cage. Maybe look into conures or one of the pis?
What I meant by sickness was that I heard tiels get sick more often than other birds. Didn’t ever fact check it I just heard it from one source.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I’m sorry! It’s just by cuddle I want my bird to be able to be tamed come on my shoulder, step up, be pet on the head. Just little stuff like that.
A linnie. Can't reccommend them more!

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You'd be surprised how many people want a bird to sit on their lap and be snuggled like a puppy. It wasn't clear whether or not you knew that already.

Sitting on your shoulder and getting headscratches is much more realistic :) it very much depends on the individual bird, but you have a much better chance of having that kind of healthy interaction. It's a shame you can't have tiels because they often do enjoy hanging out with their humans like that.